Moody’s Investors Service (MIS) is hiring an Analyst position in its specialist Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) team. The successful candidate will initially focus on the further development of a recently published approach to assessing corporate governance risks. The role requires an experienced, highly motivated individual with deep and direct knowledge of corporate governance issues, demonstrated research and writing ability and strong data and analytic abilities. Having an understanding of, and interest in, broader ESG and sustainability issues, would be an advantage for the position.
The ESG team is focused on the development of a systematic and transparent integration of material ESG issues into its credit ratings and research, working with relevant credit analysts and others within the rating agency. The candidate will contribute to the building of analytical tools to help Moody’s credit analysts create transparent indicators of ESG risks in a more structured and systematic way into the credit analysis for individual issuers.
ESG integration is a fast-growing trend in the fixed income market and an emerging and highly important area of focus at MIS. This is a very challenging, high profile opportunity to be part of a team working to rapidly develop market-leading, innovative research solutions. The successful candidate will play a critical role supporting the ESG team and project managers in building Moody’s capabilities in this area within a compressed timeframe. Going forward, the candidate will, among other core responsibilities, assist group credit and analytical teams across Moody’s in the integration of material ESG factors into MIS credit opinions, guide data and analytical team members in the completion of a suite of ESG assessments, and author issuer-focused and thematic research. As such, the position represents an exciting opportunity to join a team at the forefront of mainstreaming the consideration of ESG issues in financial markets.
- Along With others in the ESG team, be responsible for the development and publication of ESG-related assessments and scores, with an initial focus on corporate governance assessments
- Collaborate with Moody’s ratings teams in the assessment of individual issuers, integrating ESG considerations into credit ratings and published research
- Contribute to the development of data analysis systems and outputs using third-party data and research, public company filings and other public information as key inputs
- Collaborate with other internal teams including the broader Moody’s family outside the ratings agency and Information Technology team members as needed
- Present at conferences, investor and internal senior management meetings
- Conduct and author thematic and issuer-specific research relevant to credit analysis
- Draft periodic update presentations to senior management that organize data and findings in a logical manner
- Proactively seek opportunities to integrate ESG issues and enhance organizational learning, to further the development of MIS’s ESG capabilities
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience related to ESG or climate analysis
- Detailed and extensive understanding of current trends in ESG and sustainable investing
- Previous experience with corporate governance analysis required
- Previous experience in ESG integration into fixed income or equity analysis is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required and g raduate/second level degree (Masters, MBA) preferred
- Background in process oriented/data heavy tasks preferred
- Articulate and effective communicator in both writing and presentation
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and prioritize tasks accordingly
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint; advanced knowledge of MS Excel a plus