As part of expansion within the Cities and Regions team, the Carbon Trust is looking for an experienced Carbon & Energy Consultant.
The successful candidate will work closely with local authorities and other public sector bodies to deliver consultancy-based contracts, related to carbon and energy reduction for cities, regions and public sector organisations.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Providing technical advice on energy and carbon reduction opportunities for UK and international public sector clients
- Identifying decarbonisation opportunities, including data analysis and undertaking energy surveys and technical/feasibility assessments of buildings, estates and asset reviews e.g. feasibility studies of energy efficiency and renewable energy (such as heat electrification, fabric upgrades, solar PV etc
- Undertaking detailed carbon footprint assessments, including measurement of scope 3 emission sources and assessment of opportunities to reduce upstream and downstream carbon impacts
- Project managing carbon management and climate action planning contracts, supporting the management of larger multi-year programmes, contributing to client workshops and helping public bodies determine their role in delivering climate action locally
- Overseeing and supporting junior members of staff with tasks such as project identification and quantification, carbon footprinting, emissions scenario modelling and target setting.
- Drafting compelling reports, climate action strategies and delivery plans for local government and other public sector bodies
- Supporting business development activities, including leading/supporting engagements with prospective clients such as Local Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs), Universities and NHS bodies, responding to requests for proposals and invitation to tenders
- Working closely with government, industry, funders and interest groups to develop new propositions and inform Carbon Trust’s ongoing work in this field
- Playing an active role in knowledge management across the Carbon Trust, supporting the creation, sharing and management of knowledge and information
- Supporting on other areas of the Carbon Trust’s varied work on climate change where appropriate
This role would suit professionals with experience in client facing carbon and energy consultancy roles, a background in science/engineering and practical project management experience.
- Well-developed problem-solving capabilities
- Ability to build and manipulate energy models using MS Excel, and develop technical reports/business cases in MS Word/PowerPoint
- Strong commercial awareness and experience of undertaking business development activities such as building long-term relationships, leading tender responses and drafting proposals and bids
Qualifications and experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant field, such as energy, engineering and/or science discipline
- Strong and demonstrable experience as a Carbon & Energy Consultant or Engineer including project management skills
- Demonstrable experience of carbon footprinting/accounting and working with frameworks such as the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi), PAS2070, PAS2060 or similar
- Experienced communicator with excellent written, verbal and presentation skills and an ability to interpret and communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience
- Track-record of leading and developing customer relationships
- Understanding of the policy and regulatory context for climate change in the UK and a demonstrable commitment to the Carbon Trust’s mission
- Track record of supporting and/or leading the development of carbon management/climate action strategies and action plans at organisational or regional level, including target setting, scenario modelling, identification and quantification of mitigation and adaptation/resilience measures
- Experience of advising cities, regions or public sector bodies on climate action. A good working knowledge of decision making and business case development in Local Government would be an advantage
- Ability to run workshops and influence local government officers, executives and councillors
- Experience of measurement, reporting and verification for energy efficiency, renewable energy and climate change programmes
- Experience of socio-economic analysis relating to climate action plans, strategies and knowledge of financing solution for climate action
- Experience of supporting and mentoring junior staff
- Some understanding of carbon offsetting and greenhouse gas removals