Nike is looking for a Manager of Climate and Energy to support the development and execution of a long-term clean energy strategy across Nike’s extended manufacturing supply chain. The SM&S Climate & Energy team currently drives work across a 5-year strategic deployment cycle with externally-published targets and a ten year strategic plan linked to Nike’s 2030 science based carbon target.
This role will drive key programs to enable Nike suppliers to reduce their energy use and carbon emissions. The position collaborates with internal leaders within manufacturing and across other functions to secure alignment on key priorities. The role also engages and forms partnerships with external partners to help drive collective action to reduce emissions across the footwear and apparel industry.
The candidate needs be a great teammate and able to interact with all levels of the organization. The candidate should have strong self-direction and be able to deal constructively with problems that may not have clear solutions. In addition the candidate should be able to communicate key insights about their work to a broader audience. The candidate should also have a strong understanding of energy systems, carbon accounting principles, renewable energy solutions, energy policy mechanisms, and manufacturing.
What will you work on
To successfully drive global results this Oregon-based role, you will work directly with the Director of Climate and Energy and with a Singapore-based deployment team who coordinates with supplier leads focused on execution across key sourcing markets. You will analyze and handle data received from our suppliers and develop insights from that data to guide the climate and energy team’s strategic objectives. You will use your subject matter and industry experience to identify new opportunities to help Nike and its supply partners reduce manufacturing emissions, such as identifying scalable solutions related to energy technology, climate policy, and manufacturing processes.
The team operates in a fast paced, highly collaborative and dynamic work environment that demands agility and flexibility. On a day-to-day basis, tasks might include analyzing supplier climate and energy data to support leadership decision-making, developing new programs to support the team’s objectives, driving and managing projects with the Nike deployment team to ensure goals are met, coordinating projects with external consultants, and meeting with internal partners to discuss status of sustainability targets.
Who will you work with
You will report to the Director of Climate and Energy and closely collaborate with a Singapore-based deployment team and global field team. You will also liase with other members of SM&S Environment team who run programs on water, waste, chemistry, and materials. You will collaborate with the Partner Management Organization (PMO) to support the deployment of strategy with our Supplier Partners located across Asia, Europe and the Americas. In addition, you will work closely with Nike Global Sustainability to engage strategic partners to drive broader systems change and report performance. You will also engage with internal partners in Sustainable Product & Design.
What you bring to Nike
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- 4+ years professional experience in business and sustainability/climate/energy
- Degree in engineering, energy, sustainability or environmental subject area, or experience in sustainability, energy and/or management consulting preferred
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex systems and identify root causes of systemic effects/issues
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain data reporting standards, processes, and tools
- Demonstrated ability to research, analyze, summarize, and present quantitative and qualitative information
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to convey complex information in a simple, easily understood to diverse groups of partners
- Strong project management skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint; Tableau/data visualization ability preferred
- Ability to work with high degree of independence while managing upward communication to executive leadership teams and management
- Experience developing and implementing corporate strategies and programs preferred
- Proven ability to collaborate across diverse teams to meet common objectives