Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) has an opening for a Climate Change Finance Consultant.
The Bank seeks a Climate Change Consultant to work in partnership with stakeholders across the IDB-Group and Latin America and the Caribbean to provide technical leadership in climate finance, project structuring, and management of the climate finance project pipeline with major climate change funds.
The team’s mission
The Climate Change and Sustainable Development Sector (CSD) advises Management on climate change and sustainable development and develops overall Bank policies, strategies, operational guidelines and programs in these areas. It is also responsible for conducting relevant sector research, analytical work, best sector practices and case studies on climate change and sustainability and provides specialized technical sector support to climate change and sustainability-related operations and activities.
What you’ll do
- Coordinate the technical revision of climate change finance programs/project proposals for the Climate Investment Funds (CIFs) and other major external providers of concessional climate finance, such as the Green Climate Fund (GCF) the International Climate Initiative (IKI) and the NAMA Facility.
- Conduct technical review of and provide advice on the eligibility of funding proposals received, with attention to quality, completeness, and strategic alignment with climate Funds managed by the IDB such as the Accelerator (ACL) and the Sustainable Energy and Climate Change Fund (SECCI), among others.
- Support country specialists on the origination of climate finance proposals and the preparation of country specific Investment Plans for the CIFs, and other major providers of concessional climate finance, such as the GCF;
- Participate as Team Member in IDB projects including climate finance components, participating in design and administration missions, providing inputs to all stages of design, structuring and implementation through both the IDB and the funds approval cycles;
- Coordinate technical inputs to the preparation of legal documents (including project termsheets and loan/guarantee/technical assistance agreements) for climate finance projects for the Climate Investment Funds and other climate funds;
- Work with functional and operational units of the Bank to ensure that climate finance activities are integrated within IDB Group procedures, and to ensure that CIF guidelines, investment criteria, financing modalities and results measurement frameworks are followed;
- Participate in, and provide technical inputs as relevant to, the Bank’s working group supporting the process of identifying future scenarios for the scaling up of the CIFs, including through enhanced collaboration with other climate funds;
- Coordinate the preparation and delivery of technical support and capacity building activities for LAC Governments and other relevant stakeholders in the region on modalities to access and manage concessional resources for climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Participate and provide technical inputs in the preparation of knowledge products for internal and external audiences, including publications, blogs, and BBLs on topics related to climate finance;
- Coordinate the management and reporting of the IDB’s Climate Funds pipeline and projects under execution.;
- Liaise with, and coordinate inputs from, other IDB Divisions involved in the project preparation cycle of climate finance operations, including GCM, FIN, LEG and ORP, in addition to VPS Divisions, IDB Invest and IDB LAB;
- Maintain the Climate Finance Team project pipeline database and prepare briefings on its current status for management, as required;
- In addition, the consultant will support CSD/CCS other activities related to climate change finance.
What you’ll need
Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents
Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
Education: Master’s degree or equivalent in climate or sustainable finance.
Experience: Minimum of five years of relevant professional experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience in bringing to approval climate change and climate finance projects; significant experience working with global funds (CIFs, GCF, GEF, etc.); experience in negotiating project term sheets and other legal documents related to climate finance projects; sound experience in managing climate funds, reporting to donors, sound experience writing terms of references for and preparing the evaluation of consultants and experience managing consultants to ensure delivery of timely and adequate results; knowledge and understanding of the international negotiations on climate finance; experience in managing relations with clients, including government agencies and other key stakeholders involved in the project cycle.
Languages: Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
Core and Technical Competencies
Highly developed project development and project management skills; good negotiation skills for legal documents, especially related to project structuring and key financial terms and conditions; technical report writing and verbal communication skills; strong analytical skills, ability to assess, mitigate and assume risks, capacity for innovation, motivation and ability to work in teams, as well as alone. Organized, reliable and results oriented personality.
Type of contract: Full Time Consultant, CNS.
Length of contract: 12 Months
Location: IDB Headquarters, Washington, DC, USA.
Responsible Person: Lead Climate Change Specialist
You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48-member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.Apply now