Mars Petcare is hiring a Climate and Sustainable Sourcing director to lead sustainability strategy and planning in business-critical issue areas, delivering on the global business segment’s goals to ensure that pet parenthood is increasingly sustainable. This expert senior role is critical to the success of the business given high and increasing expectations of customers, consumers, clients and key stakeholders in this essential area.
The Climate & Sustainable Sourcing Director will be accountable for the development and deployment of climate action and Raw Materials sustainable sourcing. This includes responsibility for overseeing the successful activation of the Next Generation Supplier program across Petcare, which is the Mars tier-one supplier sustainability compliance and performance program. As an expert in climate and sustainable sourcing, this leader will ensure the technical rigor, robust activation, external credibility and internal visibility of this essential work within Mars and across Raw Material supply chains.
As responsibility for program activation rests in Petcare business units around the world, the Director must have world-class collaboration, influencing and engagement skills to mobilize and motivate action across multiple functions and geographies to deliver results across the Petcare divisions of Pet Nutrition, Royal Canin and Mars Veterinary Health.
- Partner with the designated, accountable Raw Materials Commercial leads in Petcare units around the world to ensure the effective development and deployment of climate action and sustainable sourcing programs related to topics including human rights and environmental issues with responsibility for the successful delivery of the 5-year climate roadmap and the Next Generation Sourcing program across multiple supply chains and aspects of Mars operations.
- Serve as Petcare’s in-house expert on climate, across topics such as climate accounting, emissions reduction strategies, insetting and offsetting approaches, LCAs and footprint analysis, and carbon neutrality and net zero strategies – working in close collaboration with Mars central experts to deploy agreed strategies in Petcare.
- Develop and maintain a robust strategic framework and performance reporting mechanism for climate action and sustainable sourcing, enabling internal and external results reporting and senior leader decision-making.
- Lead on expert coaching, guidance and support to brand teams as they pursue carbon footprint reduction or carbon neutrality, enabling them to generate footprint analysis or LCAs, develop and activate reduction or insetting/offsetting sourcing strategies, and enable effective strategy deployment over time.
- Engage with, motivate, and build the capability of Petcare senior leaders in the areas of climate and sustainable sourcing, developing and deploying new tools, resources and programs.
- Successfully manage a team of three Sustainable Sourcing Senior Managers with responsibility for facilitating the effective deployment of programs globally and in key markets, as well as robust data analysis and tracking.
- Engage externally with suppliers, customers and key stakeholders to positively influence Mars reputation and to build partnerships and alliances that advance the work.
- Build and influence a network of external partners and advisors that deliver both competence and capacity to Petcare, independently managing complex external partnerships and related budget and programs.
- Bring world class thought leadership and expertise to Petcare to define & embed climate action and sustainable sourcing as a core business competency.
- Serve on Petcare’s cross-functional, global Sustainability Leadership Team.
- Role model the 5 Principles of Mars, Inc. internally and externally, with deep and highly visible passion for the importance of sustainability to business success.
Knowledge and Experience
- Climate Subject Matter Expertise: World-class technical expertise in supply chain climate strategy and action. Familiarity with different methodologies to calculate and report emissions.
- Sustainable Sourcing Subject Matter Expertise: Strong familiarity with responsible sourcing approaches, best-practice, emerging trends and experience effectively deploying such programs globally
- Team Management: Brilliant people-management skills, able to successfully motivate and drive results with a global team
- Influencing Internally: Extensive experience explaining the rationale for and garnering support from senior leadership, brands, buyers and procurement leaders to develop and deploy corporate sustainability, sustainable sourcing and climate action plans within a global FMCG.
- External stakeholder relationship management: Deep knowledge of the partner landscape, and the ability to represent Mars externally
- Measurement, Reporting and KPIs: Develop key performance indicators to measure and demonstrate progress
- Situational Conflict Resolution: Excellent issue management and tension resolution skills – ability to identify root causes of complex issues and successfully navigate their resolution
- Master’s Degree
- Must have a minimum of 10+ years experience in Commercial, Sustainability, Sustainable Sourcing, Climate Action, Project Management, Data Analysis or Strategy in a global FMCG
- Deep technical expertise in climate accounting, corporate climate strategy and sourcing programs
- Excellent English written and communication skills
- Passionate about sustainability and the value it can bring to the planet, our people and to Mars