Merck & Co., Inc. is looking for a new Director, Corporate Responsibility.
The role of Director, Corporate Responsibility is a unique opportunity to join our Company as a key member of the Office of Corporate Responsibility. You’ll lead the Company’s non-financial reporting efforts and be a powerful change agent to achieve greater environmental, social, and governance (ESG) transparency and disclosure. You’ll also be a highly-visible Company representative to the external world, interfacing through stakeholder engagements in response to external ESG inquiries and leading ESG issues management strategies. You’ll ensure recognition for and awareness of the Company’s ESG leadership as the individual responsible for corporate responsibility messaging and positioning. You should be familiar with the ESG landscape, including related trends and best practices, to serve as a trusted advisor across the business. The candidate selected for this role will work under the guidance of the Executive Director, Corporate Responsibility, in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Lead the development of Merck’s non-financial annual report (the Corporate Responsibility Report), orchestrating efforts across a cross-functional team of subject matter experts to collect and share data about the Company’s ESG actions; verifying report metrics; collecting, editing and summarizing content; and driving report promotion and distribution.
- Stimulate new thinking among the Company’s non-financial reporting subject matter experts and provide counsel on the best types of data for inclusion by championing new and cutting-edge approaches and methods for reporting data based on a thorough evaluation of trends in the external environment.
- Develop and maintain tools, databases, and other tracking mechanisms to evaluate, track, and report implementation and progress against the Company’s corporate responsibility goals and key stakeholder requirements and relationships.
- Define key performance indicators and implement measurement, analytics and reporting methods to gauge success of the online reporting, providing key data and analysis related to digital activities.
- Assess, interpret, and understand corporate ESG frameworks of reporting standards (i.e., Global Reporting Initiative, Sustainability Accounting Standards Board), including leveraging business processes for tracking, disclosing key ESG performance statistics, and conducting benchmarking of reporting practices and disclosures.
- Lead and manage responses to key ESG surveys (e.g., MSCI, Sustainalytics, FTSE4Good), understand the ratings drivers, and maintain industry peer comparisons.
- Responsible for the ongoing development, maintenance, and leveraging of the company’s non-financial reporting website to ensure the best user experience, which includes managing accessibility, security, and traffic.
- Propel and support execution of the corporate ESG management strategy that drives business outcomes, reduces risk, enhances reputation, and supports the Company’s culture, values and mission.
- Work cross-functionally with internal partners and champion for corporate responsibility to ensure that ESG priorities are embedded throughout the Company.
- Analyze external trends and benchmarks for insights to inform ESG strategy development and execution.
- Serve as a consultant to colleagues in the subsidiaries/regions, among other internal audiences, to identify, evaluate, and determine the impact of current corporate responsibility issues and guide the development of tools and reports at the country level as well as identify opportunities to leverage and measure the success of the Company’s corporate responsibility initiatives.
Stakeholder Engagement and Communications
- Responsible for the strategic oversight of communications to raise awareness of the Company’s commitment to corporate responsibility. Influence and forge relationships with Global Communications, overseeing internal and external communications that are aligned with our Company’s corporate responsibility narrative and strategy.
- Speak as the Company’s ESG authority in stakeholder engagements, engaging with topic owners and SMEs where appropriate, developing and implementing issues response strategies and tools, and evaluating and prioritizing different stakeholder groups, interests, and information requirements.
- Bring recognition to the Company and drive reputation by identifying, participating in, and applying for awards, surveys and rankings that focus on the Company’s corporate responsibility initiatives. Leverage award and recognition opportunities to internally advocate for business change that will enhance the impact of the Company’s corporate responsibility commitments.
- Own the corporate responsibility content that appears in the Company’s proxy statement and in the corporate responsibility section of the Company website, ensuring the corporate responsibility strategy is effectively communicated to external stakeholders.
- Direct and lead marketing communications agency efforts to produce the non-financial report, develop and maintain corporate responsibility tools and resources, and have financial oversight for the Office of Corporate Responsibility’s reporting and communications budget.
Education Minimum Requirements
- BA/BS degree required
Required Experience and Skills
- 10+ years of experience in any of the following: non-financial reporting, corporate responsibility, environment, social, or governance (ESG) disciplines, enterprise risk, or sustainability
- Experience in managing ESG issues, advising on disclosure practices, and tracking industry-wide trends, preferably with an emphasis on the pharmaceutical industry
- Self-starter with a track record of leading collaborative efforts with cross functional teams and working effectively at all levels of an organization
- Ability to build coalitions, influence, and build credibility and trust while driving outcomes and holding others accountable
- Strong consulting skills with the ability to quickly assess situations, identify gaps and possible solutions
- A high-level strategic thinker who is capable of staying on top of tactical execution, exercises exceptional judgment, and operates independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven project management skills and the ability to juggle multiple tasks and competing priorities
- Superior research and analytical skills
- Budget and KPI management
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Experience working in the pharmaceutical industry or a related industry (hospital, public health, etc.)
- Agency management experience in marketing, communications, public relations, or corporate responsibility