There is an exciting new opportunity at Splunk for a Director, ESG Programs.
This is a new role to take Splunk’s first materiality assessment and build out an ESG program under the company-wide Social Impact strategic umbrella. Splunk is in the process of reimaging its Social Impact Mission and three year strategy. Splunk’s Social Impact direction is grounded in aligning with Splunk’s purpose and business objectives, leveraging all of Splunk’s assets to ensure integration across the company.
The ESG Director will play a central role in establishing the direction, implementation, measurement and reporting of Splunk’s ESG programs, in close collaboration across multiple departments and with key internal stakeholders. The ESG Strategy Director is responsible for monitoring the ESG landscape, assessing how ESG trends will impact Splunk, as well as recommending and implementing key strategies, performance indicators, and programs that will help improve ESG performance overall. The ESG Strategy Director must be both strategic and pragmatic. As part of the Social Impact team, this role serves as the ESG reporting expert for the team and the company. A key success factor for this role is commitment and skills to be a bridger across industry sectors, cultures, communities and internally at Splunk and drive impact reflective of the 3 year strategy.
What You’ll Be Doing
The ESG Director is expected to define and progress enterprise-wide ESG goals and integrate the strategic roadmap into execution, project management and reporting. Leading candidates will demonstrate an understanding and passion for ESG and are able to operate and scale in an entrepreneurial role within a large company. Key responsibilities include
ESG roadmap, program design and company integration
- Set a multi-year roadmap for company-wide ESG that is integrated with Splunk’s Social Impact strategy, Splunk’s purpose and business objectives.
- In collaboration with ESG department owners, identify goals appropriate for each business unit that will contribute to Splunk’s ESG agenda and approach, further and serve as an advisor and partner to implement those goals.
- Design and execute on an appropriate company wide ESG integration operating model. The operating model will include defining committee goals, roles, responsibilities and decision making authority.
- As part of the company’s business success, ensure ESG prioritization is based on both quantitative and qualitative analysis of risk and opportunity and can be practically measured YOY.
- Lead the coordination and communication of ESG work streams across the company to ensure consistency, integration and executable outcomes; prepare policies, projects and programs related to ESG.
- Continuously monitor ESG developments, industry standards, and regulations that may affect the Company adapting the program as appropriate.
- Leads periodic ESG materiality assessments.
ESG Reporting, measurement and evaluation
- Support Legal and/or Investor Relations for all investor and board reporting of ESG including materials, reports and presentations.
- Support Legal with governance and Board oversight of ESG progress and Splunk’s Social Impact Board engagement; ensure there is a good understanding of the companies’ ESG risks and opportunities relative to its peers and competitors.
- Drive and implement the Company’s ESG materiality and reporting; work with corporate ESG metric owners to ensure internal and public metrics are defined, tracked and reported for internal and external constituents.
- Oversee the completion of Splunk’s annual ESG report.
- Lead and coordinate company wide tools for ESG measurement and monitoring. Drive the research and implementation of effective tools to enable the measurement of effectiveness and efficiency that can be used across the company.
- Monitor compliance with ESG related policies at all levels and address non-compliance with key owners. Keep relevant stakeholders updated as appropriate.
- Prioritize and submit ESG ratings and rankings.
Social Impact Ambassador and ESG communication expert
- Ensure ESG reporting and monitoring communication is aligned with Splunk’s brand goals and the broader Social Impact strategy and purpose.
- As part of the Social Impact team, play a leadership role in partnering with Marketing to develop communication strategies for internal and external stakeholders.
- Continuously engage with external stakeholders to align stakeholder expectations with Splunk’s roadmap and progress; develop and implement stakeholder engagement and communications strategies and responses to ESG stakeholder inquiries, and engage with subject matter experts.
- Drive internal and external communication and reputation of ESG progress, leveraging external partners, ESG awards, and other influencer initiatives.
- Engage in collaborative industry efforts to help further Splunk’s role and reputation in ESG, representing Splunk at key internal and external events.
Who You Are & What Makes You Qualified
- 7+ years of CSR/ESG experience, a background in ESG strategy and reporting prefered.
- Literate in ESG reporting frameworks (GRI, SASB, UN SDGs, MSCi, TCFD) and experience developing ESG reports compliant with external frameworks
- Track record in collaboration and bridging between stakeholders and functions, and a belief in the power of bridging.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills, and the ability to combine and balance qualitative analysis with a proven understanding of strategy, operations, interpersonal and technical competencies.
- Skilled at leading and managing without authority.
- Ability to work at and navigate all levels of an organization, driving decisions and direction through influence, including executive and senior business stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proven ability to influence executive and senior business stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to lead complex stakeholder processes.
- Ability to work independently while pursuing organizational and team goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; with demonstrated experience presenting to large, high-profile audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred); or equivalent experience.