Ceres, Inc. is looking for a new Director Investor Engagement, Water.
Description & Responsibilities
The Director, Investor Engagement, Water will play a pivotal role in Ceres’ efforts to leverage the power of institutional investors to drive corporate action to address the most severe and systemic risks to freshwater resources around the globe. The successful candidate will bring a strong understanding of institutional investment strategies and practices, an understanding of sustainability i.e., environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues, and will possess strong relationship management skills. This position will coordinate closely with Ceres’ Investor Network and its members including state treasurers, pension funds, foundations, large asset managers, socially responsible asset managers, and religious institutional investors, among others. This position is full-time and reports to the Program Director of the Water team.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide strategic oversight and manage Ceres’ Valuing Water Initiative, a new global effort to mobilize investor leaders to drive corporate action on water stewardship.
- Provide strategic oversight of Ceres’ Investor Water Hub, a working group of 130 investors with $28 trillion in assets under management.
- Manage relationships with institutional investors, banks, partner NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Oversee and implement major investor-centric research projects related to water and ESG analysis.
- Develop and oversee campaigns for mobilizing investors to engage with companies with exposure to water risks.
- Develop and execute annual programmatic goals and Ceres’ organizational strategy for advancing work with institutional investors and banks around water risk, as well as support strategic planning for the overall Ceres Water team.
- Supervise at least two staff members including hiring and training new staff, conducting quarterly and annual reviews, providing guidance and support with professional development.
- Manage and advance relationships with current and potential Water Program funders.
- Actively participate in crafting fundraising proposals with Development and meeting with funders to support program work.
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and senior-level meetings as spokesperson for project or program work.
- Assist with planning of water-related programming for the Ceres annual conference program and other events.
- Support the implementation and development of Water Program management systems.
- In partnership with the Program Director, manage day-to-day project activities including creation and monitoring of annual budget.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in roles of progressive responsibility.
- Three years of management and strategy development experience.
- Knowledge of capital markets and experience working with institutional investors on ESG issues. Experience in the investment industry (e.g., as an analyst) or a CFA is a plus.
- An understanding of the various roles and activities of institutional investment funds, firms, and investors.
- Understanding of risk management tools and models used in fund management preferred.
- Understanding of the trends in ESG integration and responsible investing beneficial.
- Experience developing and managing progress against goals and budgets.
- Strong team player and comfort working in a team-based atmosphere.
- Experienced cultivating effective supervisory relationships across gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic background with direct reports.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver specific projects and initiatives independently and leading a team.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity.
- Proficient with Microsoft suite, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail and general computer applications.
- Willingness to travel, including internationally, as needed to accomplish duties noted above.