Fannie Mae is looking for a Director of Enterprise ESG Strategy.
The Director of Enterprise Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) Strategy will function as a partner to the Vice President of Enterprise ESG, helping to create and implement the enterprise wide ESG strategy for Fannie Mae.
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) is a key priority for Fannie Mae’s Board of Directors and senior leadership and will continue to grow in importance as Fannie Mae looks to exit conservatorship, and build confidence with new investors and deliver on its mission to support affordable and sustainable housing in the US. This director will be responsible for creating and implementing a plan that drives positive, measurable business value and social, environmental and governance impact influencing relevant stakeholders is critical to deliver on that the strategic plan.
Key Job Functions
- Partners with VP of Enterprise ESG to build environmental, social and governance strategy into all Fannie Mae business lines and corporate groups
- Develops an enterprise strategic plan that aligns existing and future business goals with measurable ESG outcomes.
- Invests in building deep relationships across the enterprise, identifying opportunities to collaborate and building buy-in for environmental, social and governance initiatives
- Responsible for informing the Board and external market about Fannie Mae’s progress against key ESG objectives; frames key decision points for the Board, FHFA, and Fannie Mae leadership.
- Serves as a thought leader on industry and broader ESG trends, researching best practices and identifying potential opportunities to integrate into Fannie Mae’s strategy.
- Develops deep knowledge of Fannie Mae’s business and establishes relationships of trust to better educate and influence the senior leadership team.
- Partners with ESG Impact Reporting team to track critical data; identifies opportunities for growth relative to industry standards and measures progress against key ESG metrics.
- Leading the content-creation and publication of key ESG reports
- Responsible for ensuring alignment of Fannie Mae’s ESG activities to international ESG reporting and compliance standards.
- Works closely with members of Fannie Mae’s brand strategy and communications team to promote the company’s ESG efforts, both internally and externally; develops the necessary marketing collateral training materials to create a consistent understanding throughout the organization.
- Leads a team responsible for defining and delivering upon Fannie Mae’s ESG priorities; inspires the team to achieve success through mentorship, investment in coaching & development, and by building deeper expertise in environmental, social and governance principles.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required
- 8+ years of related experience
Specialized Knowledge & Skills
- Leading programs or initiatives related to ESG, corporate social responsibility, sustainability, impact investing or other related ESG ventures.
- Experience gained within large financial services institution is preferred; in addition, open to experienced gained within a highly rated ESG company and/or strategy consulting firm
- Knowledgeable in global standards related to socially responsible/ESG investing and reporting including but not limited to ICMA Green and Social Bond Principles, UN Sustainable Development Goals, UN Principles for Responsible Investing, Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures, UNEP Finance Initiative, Sustainability Accounting Standards Board, Global Reporting Initiative, and Energy Efficient Mortgages Action Plan
- Track record of building successful strategies and implementation plans that require complex stakeholder management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with key examples of using data and industry knowledge to influence leadership across an organization
- Expertise in building relationships across business units and corporate functions to influence process or policy changes