Neuberger Berman is recruiting for a Director of Global Investment Stewardship.
The successful candidate will report to the Head of ESG Investing and have overall responsibility for the firm’s global stewardship activities. The individual will work closely with our senior public equity portfolio managers and Global Equity Research team who engage with companies on a daily basis. The successful candidate will oversee our proxy voting process and policies, and coordinate our Proxy Voting & Governance Committee. Over time, the individual will be a partner to our fixed income portfolio managers and Credit Research team on engagement topics. Given the importance of engagement to the firm, the successful candidate will have exposure to the firm’s most senior leadership and be expected to lead the innovation of our approach to active ownership as a firm.
- Oversee the execution and operations of the firm’s proxy voting processes in line with our fiduciary responsibilities to clients;
- Refresh our proxy voting guidelines on an annual basis;
- Partner with senior public equity portfolio managers and experienced industry analysts to provide advice and guidance as they engage with company management teams and board members;
- Directly lead high profile engagements with company management teams and board members;
- Advise portfolio managers on appropriate engagement escalation strategies up to and including nominating directors and running contested proxy campaigns;
- Maintain and enhance the methodology for our proprietary Governance ratings incorporating quantitative and qualitative inputs;
- Identify ways for the firm to continuously innovate its approach to stewardship in a manner that goes beyond maintaining regulatory compliance;
- Manage junior team members directly and work collaboratively with colleagues from Operations, Legal & Compliance, Client Reporting and other functions;
- Represent the firm as required at relevant industry events and in client interactions;
- Support the successful implementation of the firm’s overall ESG investing strategy.
- Undergraduate degree with strong academic credentials. CFA or MBA preferred;
- Minimum of 8 years of work experience which must have included exposure to portfolio managers and investment analysts. Preference for buy side experience at a large investment management organization;
- Demonstrated expertise in proxy voting, engagement and corporate governance;
- Familiarity with proxy voting advisors and processes;
- Understanding of ESG data sets and ESG ratings providers;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including experience and comfort interacting with senior leaders and clients;
- Track-record of balancing multiple stakeholders, building consensus, and delivering results;
- Successful experience managing project teams in a dynamic and changing environment;
- Comfort conducting basic financial modelling and other quantitative analyses;
- Accountable, with a strong sense of professionalism and integrity;
- Current or prior FINRA licensed professional preferred