UK Green Building Council (UKGBC) is seeking a new Director of Impact and Operations.
About the job
This is a key leadership role within a small but impactful organisation, reporting directly to the Chief Executive and working across UKGBC’s diverse portfolio of programmes, functions and activities. As a core member of the Leadership Team, you will be working closely with the CEO and other Directors to ensure that the strategy delivers on the charitable objectives, while also holding primary day-to-day operational responsibility for UKGBC’s impact and success.
Job purpose: To ensure that the UKGBC’s strategic and operational goals are delivered to maximise impact as efficiently as possible. It exists to provide structure and leadership to all aspects of organisational management – ranging from the operating model and funding strategy to resource plans and impact measurement.
Line Manager: CEO
Support to CEO and Leadership Team (30%)
- Provide advice and recommendations to the CEO on strategic and operational matters.
- Take full responsibility for ensuring the smooth functioning of the organisation including planning, scheduling and prioritising against regular reporting milestones.
- Pro-actively identify opportunities for process improvements or issues which need resolution; develop and implement action plans to address them.
- Support the CEO in empowering a high-performing Leadership Team (LT), scheduling, planning and facilitating regular LT meetings, and ensuring suitable team-building opportunities at this level.
- Contribute to, develop and implement strategic plans and decisions made by the CEO, Leadership Team and Board of Trustees of UKGBC.
- Champion a high quality and consistent approach to delivering projects across the organisation, working with the Leadership Team to ensure the reporting is aligned;
- Provide effective support to other Directors in their decision-making, programme management, resource management and initiative implementation – engaging with them to understand opportunities and challenges relevant to the efficient functioning of the organisation.
- Serve as Go To person on all aspects of the annual plan, handling enquiries and ensuring full team buy-in and understanding so all are driving to common goals.
Strategy & governance (30%)
- Oversee and drive the process of medium-term strategy setting, annual business planning and budgeting for the whole organisation, including annual review process of suitable KPIs for management and Board reporting purposes
- Produce quarterly and year-end reports by collecting, analysing and interpreting data and trends, reporting these regularly to the team, Leadership Team and Board of Trustees
- Conduct regular partner and competitor mapping exercises to identify strategic partnerships that would enhance UKGBC’s ability to achieve short and long-term goals, and play lead role in negotiating and managing such relationships where appropriate.
- Lead on the preparation of agenda and papers for regular Board and Committee meetings, and support the CEO in planning effective Board workshops to maximise timely feedback on strategic plans and outcomes
- Lead on the organisational risk management process including regular updates to the risk register and coordinating the delivery of associated mitigation actions.
- Review the composition and effectiveness of the regular Operational Management meetings and take on responsibility for chairing, setting agendas, tracking progress, and implementing key actions.
- Provide structure to all aspects of organisational management – including the overarching operating model, programme scoping, funding strategies, and integrated ways of working
Impact evaluation & reporting (10%)
- Oversee regular updates and refinement of UKGBC’s Theory of Change, ensuring it’s fit for purpose and adapting to a rapidly changing context.
- Drive through a culture of outcome-based (rather than activity-based) planning and execution, coaching staff and teams towards identifying meaningful measurable outcomes of their projects/activities, and supporting them in evaluating success against these.
- Working closely with the membership team, lead the annual Member Impact Survey to ensure that UKGBC obtains relevant and timely feedback on its impact and member satisfaction, and this is used to inform the organisations strategic plan and operational delivery
- Working closely with the CEO, Directors, and MarComms team, lead the planning and production of regular impact reports – ultimately moving from an annual reporting cycle to a more fluid one driven by the rhythm of different programmes and workstreams.
People, culture and workplace (20%)
- Support the People Manager in ensuring that UKGBC’s HR procedures are best-in-class, staff are professionally managed and fairly remunerated alongside a compelling suite of benefits.
- Champion opportunities to promote company culture and values across the whole team, playing a key role in designing effective team gatherings (team meetings, Away Days, learning days etc) and internal communications.
- Act as leadership champion for UKGBCs diversity & inclusion strategy and action plan to ensure the organisation is taking the right steps to overcome all forms of prejudice and discrimination and promote fairness, diversity and inclusion within UKGBC and more broadly with its stakeholders and in the built environment.
- Act as the leadership champion for hybrid flexible working arrangements – overseeing the delivery of effective support across IT, workplace strategy, and sustainability with a view to maximising staff health, wellbeing, productivity and morale.
- Sponsor the organisation’s own sustainable operations strategy working closely with and championing the work of the existing Green Team.
- Directly manage a high-performing team of five and provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence for the entire team.
Budgeting & financial management (10%)
- Alongside the CEO, be the lead signatory for UKGBC financial matters and banking procedures as well as authorising relevant expenditure as appropriate
- Support the Finance function in ensuring that UKGBC’s financial management and reporting processes are best-in-class, and ensure timely reporting and compliance with legal, statutory, misc. and Charity Commission requirements.
- Oversee the process by which UKGBC enters into financial contracts and agreements and ensure that these are appropriately documented.
Skills, knowledge and experience required
- Experience in leading and developing organisational strategy with a proven capacity to translate information and ideas into actionable plans
- Experience of financial accounts and strong commercial acumen
- Ability to make the complex simple, and create clarity and for all
- Passion and interest in change management, theories of change, impact evaluation and measurement
- Aptitude in troubleshooting and problem-solving
- Strong leadership attributes, and ability to build capacity and motivation in a team at different stages in their careers
- Analytical skills, with a keenness for data analytics, and performance measurement
- Ability to remain informed of changing regulatory requirements, and understand contractual risks and legal documents
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders
- Significant work experience in an executive management role involving leadership oversight of the finance function
- A proven track record of leading and managing multiple complex, multi-disciplinary programmes to successful outcomes
- Experience of the management of ICT and related office functions
- Strong digital capabilities, with a keen eye for new technology solutions on the horizon
- Experience of charity governance and reporting requirements
- A personal interest in environmental and social issues
- A degree or qualification in social impact, non-profit management, social entrepreneurship, corporate social responsibility, philanthropy, business administration, or other relevant subject