Mars is recruiting for a Director of Sustainability Communication.
As a member of the Corporate Affairs team, this Associate will be part of building the company’s reputation and sharing stories externally that bring together the power of the Mars brand. This role will ensure connectivity across the Corporate Affairs and the sustainability teams.
This role can be based in McLean, VA or London, UK.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree required (Communications, Public Affairs, or related field strongly preferred). MS/MBA is a plus.
- Minimum 12 years of experience in communications, stakeholder engagement, or corporate affairs.
- Subject matter expertise that spans across social and environmental sustainability issues, packaging, and human rights.
- Experience working with and shaping dynamic partnerships with United Nations organizations, other international institutions, and global NGOs.
- Experience working in or with a global organization strongly preferred.
What would be your key responsibilities?
- Create and drive an external communication strategy and activation to raise awareness for our sustainability agenda with a view to further strengthen our reputation and lay the groundwork for policy advocacy, in partnership with the Public Affairs team.
- Identify opportunities for and support activation of visible leadership by Family, Board, and senior leaders in support of our Sustainable in a Generation Plan.
- Lead strategy for Mars engagements at global forums including UN General Assembly and UN Conference on Climate Change.
- Serve as spokesperson and advocate at sustainability forums and within relevant industry and multi-stakeholder committees.
- Develop narratives, positions, and messaging to engage key stakeholders on sustainability initiatives.
- Collaborate with Internal Communications team to inform, engage and inspire Mars Associates with our sustainability priorities, actions, and impacts.
- Oversee sustainability reporting.
Sustainability Issues Management
- Collaborate with the sustainability team and corporate affairs colleagues to anticipate and respond to issues related to our sustainability strategy.
- Develop position statements and a repository of communications materials/policies, including talking points, media statements, Q&A, etc. around sustainability issues in partnership with key corporate functions.
- Work with our global Public Affairs team to ensure global sustainability public policy trends are considered within our media relations and corporate reputation strategies, and, in turn, that our communications help to advance our public policy advocacy agenda.
- In partnership with the Sustainability and Public Affairs teams, help shape relevant partnerships and collaborations, coalitions, and campaigns to support the delivery of our sustainability commitments and to amplify their impacts.
- Engage with key external partners to increase awareness of Mars as both a purpose-driven business and a leading business in sustainability.
What can you expect from Mars?
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive compensation package including generous benefits (i.e. 401k, health, etc.)
- Commitment to our Purpose and our Five Principles.
- An environment where all Associates feel valued, supported, and comfortable being themselves at work.
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.