Pivot Bio is looking for someone with broad knowledge of sustainability issues to be their new Director, Sustainability/ESG.
About the role
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of sustainability issues as it relates to environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters. They should have a track record of building a robust strategy and program with internal monitoring of key ESG metrics for quarterly and annual reporting. Key stakeholders will include both internal and external constituents including employees, suppliers, partners, investors and Pivot Bio’s Leadership Team and will work very closely with our Research, Product, Commercial Operations and Administrative colleagues. You will be responsible for strong collaboration with key business functions to influence the business to drive improving metrics across sustainability and ESG measures as well as help to set long-term targets that align with recognized disclosure frameworks. While employing a collaborative and adaptive mindset, this position will require experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals that require minimal supervision.
Who should consider this role
- You are authentic and love collaborating and connecting with people
- You value the autonomy to use common sense and good judgment to make decisions
- You are intellectually curious, learn quickly and take initiative
- You treat others with dignity and respect and consider the benefits and risks to employees and the business when addressing issues
- You have a passion for delivering results in a high-visibility environment within a defined framework
- You are detail oriented and accustomed to juggling multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- You excel at navigating highly matrixed environments to partner and influence as needed to deliver on goals
- The people – we care deeply about our mission to provide farmers globally with an alternative to synthetic nitrogen fertilizers
- The diversity of experiences – every day is different
- The excitement – we focus on what matters most to our farmers, enabling them to both improve their operations and reduce their environmental impact
- The opportunity to learn, grow and advance within an industry defining, high impact company
The Director, Sustainability/ESG will have the following primary duties
- Develop and lead a multi-pronged strategy and program for Environmental Social and Governance (ESG)
- Establish objectives and milestones to achieve short and long-term goals, embedding our strategy within the functional areas as an integrated part of how we work
- Prioritize the issues that are most important to Pivot Bio and our key stakeholders while considering opportunities for business growth and risk mitigation
- Effectively complete all ESG reporting and work collaboratively across the enterprise to drive program awareness and communicate program results
- Lead the development of the periodic social responsibility report, working across key functions to develop content.
- Develop and implement corporate programs to drive awareness and achieve intended targets among both internal and external key stakeholders
- Create and drive engagement opportunities that serve employees, suppliers, investors, farmers and partners while aligning with Pivot Bio’s purpose, values and long-term strategy
- Build ESG programs that align to the strategy and leverage the unique aspects of Pivot Bio’s business
- At least 7 years of professional experience preferably in areas such as ESG reporting, communications or investor relations with at least 3 years within ESG or social responsibility that includes driving ESG initiatives that align with strategic business objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience, with strong financial acumen
- Professional experience as an ESG or social responsibility leader at a public company, with experience driving global ESG integration and initiatives that tie to strategic business objectives
- Financial, risk management, and/or investor engagement experience working with key stakeholders and ESG rating firms
- Familiarity with frameworks such as SDG’s, reporting standards such as TCFD, SASB, and GRI; experience responding to related ESG surveys and engaging with ESG rating agencies such as MSCI, Sustainalytics, and ISS
- Possess an established network with other ESG thought leaders and contacts to ensure understanding and best practice sharing in step with emerging trends and expectations related to ESG
- Ability to influence, empower and mentor colleagues, the ability to work autonomously yet collaborate with multiple disciplines and leaders throughout Pivot Bio, while demonstrating diplomacy, flexibility, and accountability.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to build out metrics and synthesize data
- Practical and innovative leader with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results
- Creative thinker with a strong interest in executing new strategies to drive increasing value to our customers, partners, suppliers, shareholders, and employees
- Strong presentation skills with experience working at both executive and board levels.
- Possess executive presence and interpersonal skills that enable you to build relationships internally and externally
- Strong public speaking experience including engagements at conferences