Aramark is seeking a new ESG Communications Manager.
The ESG Communications Manager leads enterprise sustainability/ESG (environmental, social, governance) reporting and executes communications for a wide range of internal and external audiences. This is a pivotal role in communicating Be Well. Do Well., the company’s plan to positively impact people and the planet.
The role will work with many stakeholders to accurately, effectively and authentically capture and communicate our commitment to reduce inequality, support and grow our communities, and protect our planet, demonstrating Aramark’s mission of enriching and nourishing lives and strengthening the company’s brand by telling our purpose-driven story. The ESG Communications Manager will be also responsible for contributing to the development and execution of a cohesive enterprise sustainability/ESG communications and reporting strategy. The strategy must effectively communicate Aramark’s mission, values and strategies to both internal and external audiences and earn the company’s place on targeted third-party indices and reporting frameworks.
Reporting directly to Aramark’s VP of Communications with dotted line reporting to the VP Sustainability and working collaboratively across the organization, the ESG Communications Manager will drive Aramark’s internal and external sustainability communications and reporting strategy, including developing content, tracking metrics, gathering quantitative and qualitative data, evaluating impacts and outcomes and developing an industry-leading sustainability report.
This position requires an experienced and detail-oriented communications professional who can function independently with diverse stakeholders and manage through influence across sectors and functions. This position also requires an individual passionate about enterprise sustainability and who can operate with a sense of urgency and a consistent awareness of deadlines and results.
The primary responsibilities include communications strategy, content management and reporting.
- Oversee management of Aramark’s sustainability/ESG (environmental, social, governance) communications strategy including storytelling, brand building, reputation management and
- Exhibit direct knowledge and contribution to Be Well. Do Well. messaging, themes and initiatives to support strategic decisions about content, placement and timing.
- Maintain competitive and industry benchmarking, and track innovative approaches to sustainability/ESG reporting, including collection and publication of metrics, proof-points and narrative content.
- Serve as subject matter expert on third party reporting guidance including the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Sustainability Accounting and Standards Board (SASB), Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project – Climate, Supply Chain and Forestry), SEDEX (Supplier Ethical Data Exchange), ESG research providers including MSCI, ISS, Sustainalytics and Vigeo, as well as global frameworks standards such as the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs) and International Labor Organization guidelines.
- Embrace a continuous improvement approach, seeking to improve and evolve as the sustainability reporting landscape changes. Consider the advisability of, and make recommendations regarding, the creation of an integrated report, one that combines financial and sustainability reporting, and relevant recommendations.
- Identify current and emerging industry trends and offers suggestions on best-in-class approaches to enhance authenticity, efficiency and creativity.
- Coordinate communications efforts across multiple channels including LOB, client, marketing, social media and growth on integrating sustainability reporting across channels including corporate website and digital platforms – internally and externally.
- Employ strong multi-tasking and organization skills, along with the ability to get things done through leadership and informal influence without authority.
- Manage, track and update key performance indicators (KPIs) relevant to internal targets and work directly with subject matter experts (SMEs) and others to ensure timely and accurate data capture.
- Collaborate across the business to drive streamlined data collection, chain of custody, aggregation, accuracy, validation, and submission of the report to internal external stakeholders and third-party reporting organization.
- Assist SMEs and others within the company to continuously review and improve metrics management in accordance with evolving standards and leading practices.
- Establish internal reporting processes including collection of KPI and management of sustainability data to enable annual reporting that will assure the accuracy and timeliness of the information.
- Manage the collection, documentation, accuracy and verification of quantitative data and qualitative proof points with internal SMEs, Centers of Excellence, and Lines of Business.
- Maintain organized and thorough tracking of sources, feedback and responses from both internal and external stakeholders, reviewing the quality, timeliness and accuracy of all materials.
- Coordinate with SMEs responsible for providing data and content from existing software systems, and ensure continuous improvement of enhanced, streamlined tools for data collection.
- Develop, maintain and distribute procedures and standards for use in sustainability reporting. Work with internal company auditors to periodically audit the accuracy of information and the processes by which information is collected, maintained, and verified within Aramark.
- Build and maintain a repository of stories, anecdotes and other information throughout the reporting year, for inclusion in internal and external channels such as a year-end ESG report.
- Work with operations, HR, corporate communications, business development/growth, marketing and other stakeholders to integrate sustainability reporting wherever possible.
- Create compelling, evidence-based, written and visual summaries of sustainability performance for both internal and external audiences, including dashboards, scorecards, infographics, PPTs and reports.
- Serve as a main point of contact for sustainability metrics and reporting, working in collaboration with corporate communications, investor relations, lines of business (LOB), diversity, environmental sustainability, community relations, supply chain and others.
- Deliver annual sustainability report to the VP Sustainability and VP Compliance in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and Sustainability Accounting and Standards Board (SASB). Establish timeline and process for developing the report in timely fashion and enhancing the report, year-over-year, to drive toward industry-leading sustainability report by year three.
- Align all communications with overarching enterprise purpose and ensure persuasive messaging that demonstrates the company’s purpose, values and progress.
- Engage and lead management of in-house or third-party contractors to support effective execution of sustainability reporting activities including data collection, writing format and design.
- Coordinate and complete submission of responses to global reporting frameworks including but not limited to Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project – Climate, Supply Chain and Forestry) and SEDEX (Supplier Ethical Data Exchange).
- In collaboration with corporate communications, global sales, investor relations, marketing and other teams, develop, review and edit collateral materials including brochures, presentations, case studies and other content for communication of sustainability report to internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify, prioritize and manage additional questionnaires and surveys requested by NGOs (non-governmental organizations), clients, prospective clients, suppliers, investors and other key stakeholders.
- Organize and maintain a report and presentation library, including images, and media files.
- Position will report directly to the Vice President of Corporate Communications.
- Candidates must have at least five years of experience working in a corporate, agency or non-profit organization environment.
- Exhibit a deep interest and experience in environmental, social, governance, sustainability and corporate responsibility. Previous experience in communications or ESG reporting is essential.
- Exceptional organizational, time management and leadership skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including ability to express complex ideas simply and demonstrated ability to make connections between seemingly unrelated concepts.
- Must demonstrate self-motivation and the ability to work well independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with multiple stakeholders including Aramark leaders, internal subject matter experts, consultants and external organizations.
- The ability to respond effectively to changing demands.
- Experience with and knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications.
- Track record of developing and delivering qualitative and quantitative sustainability and ESG (environmental, social, governance) reporting.
- Technical knowledge and experience in sustainability reporting and with relevant ESG standards; familiarity with Global Reporting Initiative, Sustainability Accounting and Standards, Dow Jones Sustainability Index and/or Carbon Disclosure Project, United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, is preferred.
- Experience with approaches to managing for consistent and accurate responses and data collection, including leveraging IT solutions as applicable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to read, analyze, interpret and translate large sets of data into simple insights or reports.
- Excellent project management skills and planning and reporting experience, with a proven track record for delivering successful qualitative and quantitative reporting.
- Proven ability to balance multiple projects with strong organizational skills.
- Proven ability to collaborate and manage internal relationships with partners effectively.
- Must effectively influence without formal authority by partnering across the enterprise to accomplish goals through others without direct authority.
- Ability to demonstrate exemplary personal judgment given sensitive content, initiative and collaborative skills while working as part of a high-performing and flexible team.
- Knowledge of social and environmental issues and passion for sustainability; derives great satisfaction from this type of work, a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area: Masters, MBA or J.D. preferred.
- Able to inspire the trust, confidence and respect of subordinates, colleagues and senior leaders.
- Analytic thinker and problem solver, capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and effective presentation skills with fluency in presentation software.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with all levels.
- Must be able to resolve problems and reason through issues.
- Comfortable with competing priorities and managing multiple projects and timelines simultaneously.