Job opening for an ESG Funds Researcher at MSCI Inc.
Your Team responsibilities
MSCI ESG Research, part of MSCI Inc., is a recognized leader in the global ESG investing market. We are seeking to bring additional expertise to our team to expand the scope of client-centric solutions to address growing demand for multi-asset ESG research. In particular, we are looking to enhance our fund-level analysis with ESG insight and development of analytical models and tools.
What we will offer you: Depending on the location of your role, you can expect
- Competitive fixed and variable compensation, holiday/vacation allowance & retirement savings plans/pensions
- Employee Resource Groups to support you in and out of the office
- A wide range of benefits including – healthcare, dental plans, risk insurances and (location dependent) – cycletowork schemes, gym benefits, retail discounts,
- A purposeful approach to Wellbeing including training, support networks, membership to wellness platforms and vendors, and active local office communities
- A specific and deliberate planning to the physical offices in which we work, and support for everyone spending periods of time working remotely or at home. This approach mirrors our commitment to transparency and sustainability and puts the safety and wellness of our employees at the center of all we do. We aim to provide productive and sustainable work environments and technology that encourages collaboration, creativity and innovation.
Your key responsibilities
Collaborating with other members of the team, you will be responsible for producing insightful research on the ESG characteristics of funds and other investment vehicles. This includes identifying and responding to key market and regulatory trends, proposing and testing new methodology solutions, publishing thematic and applied research, and representing MSCI ESG Research in key stakeholder forums. You will work closely with all parts of the MSCI organization, including Client Service, Marketing, Legal, Finance and Product Management.
In particular, you would be expected to:
- Help guide the world’s largest institutional investors and wealth managers in highlighting ESG opportunities and risks embedded in their funds, including developing solutions to support emerging regulatory and thematic ESG reporting requirements.
- Help answer questions like: “How can we systematically identify funds that are more resilient to climate change? How can our clients identify investment opportunities that promote diversity? How would an investor go about constructing an ESG model portfolio?”
- Conduct and publish research on thematic areas, investment use cases and practical guides related to fund management and reporting;
- Conduct and publish analysis on specific funds, in the context of the fund’s objectives, industry and country exposure, and market trends;
- Analyze the impact of ESG on risk and return, using quantitative methods and MSCI factor models;
- Represent MSCI ESG Research externally, engage on key market developments, and communicate our knowledge, ideas, and capabilities;
- Work closely with our global analyst team to develop sound methodologies, and test inputs and outputs of model frameworks.
Your skills and experience that will help you excel
We are looking for an experienced individual with knowledge of how portfolios are constructed (a background in manager research, fund research, investment consulting, investment advisory, ETFs, or multi-asset class solutions is preferred). A strong candidate would be a problem solver with a collaborative mindset and intellectual curiosity.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, with an ability to distill complex topics into accessible insights;
- Experience presenting research in public settings, leading discussion and stakeholder consultations;
- Quantitative research skills and ability to work with large datasets;
- Financial background with experience working across different asset classes (equity, fixed income, derivatives)
- Collaborative mindset – we have a highly team-oriented culture
- Excellent communicator and active listener
- Intellectual curiosity
- Problem solver
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Accounting, Finance or similar field is required; Master’s degree is preferred
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in a related field
- Experience in areas including manager research, fund research, investment consulting, investment advisory, ETFs, or multi-asset class solutions
- No specific ESG experience is required, but the candidate must demonstrate a strong interest in sustainability and knowledge about the sustainable investment field
How we’ll support you
- Coaching and support from experts in your team
- A performance and growth-oriented culture and values
- Opportunities for continuous learning to aid progression
- Goal based objectives and development plans
- Transparent performance-based compensation schemes
- Employee resource groups such as the Women’s Leadership Forum, MSCIPRIDE, and Eco-Groups.