Exciting opportunity at Standard Chartered for a new Head of ESG Advisory.
The Role Responsibilities
The Head of ESG Advisory is accountable for the development of ESG Advisory for Standard Chartered Bank to increase product footprint and client revenues. As sustainable financing standards and regulations are rapidly growing, the Head of ESG Advisory will be a leader to help the Bank and its clients navigate those market changes.
Our Sustainable Finance team serves as a centre of expertise on a broad set of ESG topics, providing thought leadership, strategic advice and transaction support to bring the Banks coverage and product expertise to advance sustainability solutions for our clients. The group sits within the Global Banking division of the Corporate and Institutional Bank and works with sales and coverage teams to identify and deliver on ESG-related advisory and product opportunities.
The Role described below is for a dynamic individual to support the expansion of ESG-related advisory initiatives of the team.
- Lead the development and implementation of client strategies for ESG Advisory service
- Develop a plan that would put SC on a path to being known as the Bank for ESG advisory for our clients
- Develop a strong understanding of cross-sector trends in ESG and climate
- Provide strategic advice on climate-related risks and opportunities and the rise in ESG investing to clients
- Take ownership over the management of ESG ratings data collection and analysis
- Oversee the integration of the ESG framework for clients
- Manage the service delivery and client relationship
- Lead the collaboration between Group Sustainability, Climate Risk and Sustainable Finance
- The Head of ESG Advisory will be the main point of contact for Sustainable Finance Bankers and colleagues from various front offices with direct responsibility to deliver ESG advice without day to day supervision.
- The role of the Head of ESG Advisory is to provide clients with strategic advice as a commercial solution to develop their overall ESG / transition strategy embed ESG considerations into investment process and support with framework drafting and external verification help clients set, achieve and maintain ESG ratings.
- The role is embedded into Sustainable Finance origination strategy and will involve engagement with senior management and decision makers of key clients to improve the quality of dialogue with clients, promoting a move away from transactional reactive client coverage to consistent value-added partner/trusted advisor status. Anticipate clients needs and provide strategic advice, bringing in the relevant product and industry partners as appropriate.
- Provides thought leadership in preparing team marketing materials, pitch-books and reports, to ensure successful promotion of Standard Chartereds Sustainable Finance activities both internally and externally.
- Undertakes research on borrowers, markets and lenders using ESG data and other information and sources to present to clients in a clear and compelling way.
- Ensure thorough knowledge of main ESG rating Agencies methodologies such as Sustainalytics, Vigeo Eiris and MSCI.
- Provides guidance to junior staff, the broader Sustainable Finance team and coverage bankers on an ongoing basis.
- Develops and runs training workshops for clients in emerging markets to build capacity and help origination efforts.
- Opines and advises on all aspects of the sustainability framework for sustainable and sustainability linked transactions.
- Professionally represent Standard Chartered at the highest levels within region and internationally.
- Bring strategic thought and vision as to how the corporate landscape regionally/globally is changing and where areas of international growth lie.
- Ensure that industry and product knowledge is continually developed personally and within the team.
- Stay abreast and anticipate the developments of the Industries in which our clients operate.
Proactively Manage The Designated Sustainable Finance Clients To Ensure:
- Close ties exist with key stakeholders eg. Financial Markets, Transaction Banking, Corporate Finance Risk, Country CEOs, Service Delivery, etc.
- Risks are appropriately identified and managed.
- Develop opportunities through attendance at key Industry events as necessary.
People and Talent
- Hire and manage an ESG advisory team
- Take the initiative regarding regulatory, reputational and ethical matters, taking the initiative for providing proactive advice to clients as identified. Coach and manage the team in these matters and ensure they are adequately trained in and cognisant of regulatory, reputational and ethical risks.
- Ensure that key regulatory risks and concerns are raised into the governance framework throughout the Corporate teams
- Responsible for assessing the effectiveness of the Groups arrangements to deliver effective governance, oversight and controls in the business and, if necessary, oversee changes in these areas
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
- Responsible for delivering effective governance capability to challenge fellow executives effectively and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
- Develop and manage the relevant governance for the ESG advisory business
- Regulatory andamp Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Groups Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients Effective Financial Markets Financial Crime ComplianceThe Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Adhere to local regulator (ie PRA and FCA) prescribed responsibilities and Rationale for allocation.
- Internal: Coverage bankers within the region and globally to ensure breadth and depth of client coverage and deepening as well as all front office departments and Group Sustainability.
- Internal: Senior stakeholders in Risk and Legal andamp Compliance Corporate Affairs, Legal,
- External: The Banks customers, competitors, debt investors, external advisors and ESG Rating firms.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Proven track record of sustainable financing in 1) major commercial bank or 2) ESG Rating Agency
- In depth knowledge of Green andamp Sustainable loan principles, Green Bond Principles, UN Sustainable Development Goals, Climate Bonds Initiative, EU Taxonomy, TCFD, and other major ESG Regulations
- Thorough knowledge of main ESG rating Agencies methodologies
- Solutions focused with proven business judgement and high ethical and professional standards
- Promotes good teamwork and guides others with vast experience and knowledge of the market
- Background In Energy Markets Preferred, But Not Required