Formula 1 is looking for an experienced Head of Sustainability.
- Formula 1 is one of the most recognized brands in sport. From its inaugural season in 1950, it has grown into a sport with over 500m fans around the world
- We recognise the critical threat to our planet posed by anthropogenic climate change and are determined to decarbonise our sport in line with the global push to keep global warming well below 2.00C, as set out within the Paris Agreement
- We are therefore setting ourselves the goal of becoming net zero carbon by 2030 – an ambitious yet achievable strategy that will propel F1 to the forefront of major global sports
- Additionally, F1 is committed to delivering completely sustainable events by 2025 and driving increased diversity and inclusion across the whole F1 community, from pit lane to paddock
- Working closely with the Executive Office, Department Heads and members of the wider F1 community you will have senior level exposure from day 1 and will be operating in a challenging but rewarding environment
- This is a unique opportunity to join a globally-recognised organisation implementing radical change for the long term benefit of a highly popular sport
- As Head of Sustainability, you will drive the delivery of Formula 1’s 2030 sustainability strategy focused on reducing carbon emissions to net zero, creating sustainable Grand Prix weekends and shaping an inclusive and diverse sport and business.
- The role is suited to someone who can deliver innovative yet pragmatic solutions, driving commercial growth within F1’s sustainability platform
- You will be required to manage a broad range of critical stakeholders, dealing with representatives from the FIA, F1 teams, global partners, race promoters, broadcasters and external organisations (such as NGOs)
- You may be required to attend business meetings overseas and at Grands Prix, and therefore should expect some global travel
- Work with internal departments and external partners to mobilise on delivering specific elements within the plan and manage relationships with key external stakeholders on key social and environmental issues.
- Ensure accurate and consistent measurement of environmental data and compliance on key workstreams is in place to track progress against our targets and support effective internal and external communications and regulatory reporting.
- Represent Formula 1 on sustainability at key external events and generate relevant communications briefings and content for senior leadership teams for use with key commercial partners, opinion leaders and other stakeholders.
- Provide expert support to internal functions on key sustainability initiatives that support the overall strategy – building the business case for investment, providing specialist advice on social and environmental issues etc.
- Chair or provide expert support on key cross functional initiatives that are relevant to the sustainability strategy – for example the Formula 1 Diversity and Inclusion Steering Group.
Skills and experience
- 5 – 10 years plus experience of running a leading sustainability programme with a track record of delivery against publicly stated goals on environmental and social issues in a major commercial organization.
- Proven ability to independently lead, organize and deliver commitments on time and within budget, and to work in a team within a high profile, commercial environment.
- Team player who can work with people of all levels, disciplines, and backgrounds.
- Strong internal and external stakeholder management capabilities.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, with experience of talking to media.
- A collaborative, open and passionate working style with a passion for innovation and entertainment.
- To complete all mandatory training within specified timelines.
- To operate safely at all times in line with Company health and safety requirements.
- To undertake other duties within your capabilities as your Department Manager or Team Manager may assign to you from time to time.