Ceres is looking for a new Manager, Communications and Marketing (Accelerator).
Description and Responsibilities
The Manager, Communications and Marketing will be a highly-skilled and organized writer looking to join a fast-paced sustainability advocacy organization. This position will support the Ceres Accelerator with research, message development, and content writing/editing, with a particular focus on the development of thought leadership reports on a host of sustainability topics related to our outdated capital market systems. This position will also support the development of high-quality messaging, thought leadership news columns (op-eds, blogs), industry newsletters and speeches. This position will report to the Managing Director, Ceres Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets with a dotted line to the Senior Department Director, Communications and Marketing.
This is a full-time salaried position. It is preferable but not required to be based in our Boston office.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Research, write and edit thought leadership reports and columns, and other written content, with a particular focus on the writing needs of the Ceres Accelerator.
- Develop high-quality messaging and content that is accurate, clear, concise, compelling, consistent, conversational, and strikes the right tone and balance.
- Conduct targeted media relations and outreach to generate uptake in earned news coverage of Ceres experts/thought leadership as well as investor and company leadership and action.
- Work with Ceres experts and investor and company media spokespeople to conduct on-the-record interviews, provide quotes and statements, author columns/op-eds and editorials, and support social media amplification.
- Work closely with communications and marketing team to develop and execute long-term communications and marketing strategies for Ceres.
- Execute media strategies for research reports and initiative rollouts, ensuring coordination internally and with external partners, and consistency in framing, messaging and design.
- Identify key events and moments to leverage messaging and content, ensuring activities are coordinated and organized closely together with relevant initiatives, and with Ceres’ overall communications and marketing priorities and calendar.
- Support strategies for paid and unpaid marketing tactics to market reports, investor engagement tools, and campaigns and initiatives.
- Identify and cultivate new strategic (paid and unpaid) media/social media partnerships.
- Provide input on website, social media, eCommunity messaging to amplify impact across all Ceres’ digital platforms.
- Provide communications and marketing support as needed for key Ceres events (e.g. Ceres Conference, Investor Summit on Climate Risk, etc.)
- Develop content expertise on a wide range of sustainability issues, including climate change, and how sustainable capital markets play a critical role in accelerating the transition to a sustainable economy.
- Transform Ceres general messages for specific industry audiences. This could include op-eds/blogs, podcasts, speeches, industry newsletters and other outreach vehicles.
- Serve on the Ceres Report Vetting and Evaluation Committee to help enforce vetting, development, design and evaluation processes and protocols for editorial projects.
- Adopt Ceres brand writing, messaging and design guidelines for written content; and follow AP writing style and grammar rules.
- Participate in regular check-ins with supervisor and dotted line supervisor to ensure editorial priorities are consistent with strategic plan and team work plans and goals.
- Provide direct writing support for the Managing Director of the Ceres Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets and other experts on the team, as needed.
- At least five years of experience in journalism, advocacy or business writing, strategic communications or marketing.
- Experience developing media relations strategies and working in fast-paced media environments.
- Very strong communications, research, fact-checking, messaging development, writing, and editing skills.
- Experience writing for media audiences including pitches, press releases, statements, columns/op-eds, etc.
- Experience in thought leadership report and column writing for an advocacy, investor and corporate, and news audience. Ability to tailor content for multiple audiences and formats.
- Knowledge of AP writing style guidelines and other best practices for editing and writing.
- Strong pitching and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated passion and knowledge of investor and corporate ESG issues, as well as interest in policy and regulatory advocacy work.
- Ability to work quickly, and on deadline, and independently, with multiple experts across teams and on a variety of topics in a fast-paced writing environment.
- Adaptable to the writing needs of a changing digital media landscape and in growing an engaged, digital audience.
- Comfortable working with different personalities and people.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above
- Desire to work in a mission-driven and nonprofit environment.