The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is looking for a Manager, Marketing & Communications.
The Marketing & Communications Manager will provide content and editorial leadership, communication advice, planning and execution with strong relationship skills and personal drive in support of WBCSD’s portfolio of work.
This role is critical and will require a heavy focus on content creation and story-telling to further the goals of the organization and elevate WBCSD’s positioning in the business and sustainability sphere.
Responsibilities & duties
Content development & editorial oversight
- Working with the Comunications team, create impactful content to feed the organization’s multi-channels:
- Digital ecosystem: website, webzine, social media
- Employee engagement: Intranet news & campaigns
- Media: Press releases, opinion editorials, speeches & statements
- Develop and manage comprehensive communications campaigns and activities to build brand, enhance reputation and achieve business objectives.
- Storyteller/publishing approach for impact stories to ensure longer lifespan to our work
- Help develop the WBCSD brand by exploring new avenues for multimedia content and storytelling, backed by data analysis.
- Provide design and web advice when required
- Write content for WBCSD including material for op-eds, thought leadership pieces, news articles, interviews, newsletters, blog pieces, member communications and social media.
- Provide editorial leadership for publications and ensure all content adheres to WBCSD’s visual identity and tone of voice, working with the central communications team and external agencies as necessary.
Strategic communications advice
- Working with the Communications team, identify, prepare and execute opportunities for high-impact communication across events & other platforms– occupying well-established spaces as well as positioning WBCSD leadership in new spaces.
- Work with the Communications Director in the development of strategic communications plans with supporting messaging matrix – simple, compelling and in line with the organization’s value proposition to member companies and differentiated in the external space.
- Provide strategic guidance on best practice to the team, helping to make complex, technical information into business relevant, accessible and engaging content
Positioning & media relations
- Work with the central Communications team to proactively grow WBCSD’s representation across influential media & other platforms.
- Help manage media enquiries and support the Communications team with media relations including writing/editing media releases and managing media campaigns.
- Assist with media enquiries and ensure all external communications adhere to pre-agreed guidelines.
Analysis, quality control and traffic management
- Track & analyze positioning of sustainability themes & trends in competitors as well as international media in view of continuously (re)shaping WBCSD’s value proposition and communications strategy.
- Quality control across processes on product development in writing, video, social media, presentations, etc.
- Traffic management skills within the department.
Relationship & team building
- Manage expectations of demanding stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally
This role will report solid line to the Director, Communications.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s or masters in journalism, or related field with seven to 10 years of experience in content creation & strategy
- Passion for sustainability and communicating about sustainability
- Proven experience as journalist or content creator for agency or multinational company
- Outstanding writing skills cutting across all formats
- Experience in digital communications (blog, social and digital media formats)
- Native level of English, with other languages a plus
- Capacity to work independently and be also a critical cog in a team
- Proven leadership, team management and community building skills
- Combine strategic thinking with excellence in execution
- Provide counsel and effectively communicate with a wide range of internal stakeholders
- Build strong networks and relationships across the organization and with external stakeholders
- Demonstrated capacity to work under tight deadlines, manage multiple priorities and get quickly up to speed on complex issues
- Remit to help drive the design and web functions to match the organization’s ambitions
- Data analysis experience
- Knowledge and expertise:
- Good knowledge and hands-on experience of developing and implementing communication strategies, planning, editing and execution
- Social media and web experience
- Social media savviness
- Project management: Evidence of successful project management and effective facilitation of different perspectives towards a common objective. Capacity to work independently by setting priorities within own workstreams, identify and proactively address problems and work to deadlines
- Teamwork: Evidence of successfully working across teams and diverse interest groups
- Multi-Tasking: Ability to manage own projects and ad hoc demands simultaneously, set priorities, effectively utilize available resources, identify and address problems, and meet deadlines
- Language skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken) is essential, other languages an asset.