Allbirds is looking for someone who can champion the cause of sustainability both inside and outside the organization and elevate their supply chain sustainability to the next level to be their new Manager, Social & Environmental Responsibility.
As the Manager, Social & Environmental Responsibility, you will be responsible for setting the social and environmental responsibility strategy and standards across Allbirds’ global supply chain. Your day to day will include vetting new suppliers, setting and enforcing Allbirds’ social and environmental standards, as well as working shoulder to shoulder with our suppliers to improve worker wellbeing and reduce environmental impact.
What does the job entail?
You will work with our Sustainability Lead to:
- Set strategy and standards –
- Keep a pulse on industry trends, constantly seeking out best practices and benchmark against peers
- Maintain best-in-class code of conduct and other social and environmental standards
- Develop framework for evaluating factories against Allbirds environmental and social standards
- Create strategy to reduce energy consumption related to Allbirds products across supply chain, distribution, and customer use
- Develop renewable energy procurement options to further our carbon neutrality commitment
- Manage Allbirds’ chemistry standards, including RSL/MRSL, and participation in certification programs like OekoTex and Bluesign
- Recommend and engage with industry groups and initiatives (SAC/Higg Index, Textile Exchange, Fair Trade, Fair Labor Association, Bluesign, OekoTex, etc.)
- Diligence supply chain –
- Work closely with Supply Chain team to collect and evaluate sustainability information from suppliers against Allbirds social and environmental standards
- Based on this evaluation, represent sustainability in recommending approving or not approving new suppliers as well as rating existing suppliers
- Oversee all social and environmental audits; analyze assessment data and develop and communicate corrective action plans
- Roll out measurement and tracking of emissions, energy, water, and waste at all Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers; manage reporting to Higg Facilities Environmental Module and B Impact Assessment
- Proactively identify key social and environmental risks to the brand and suggest remediation plans
- Collaborate with suppliers –
- Identify key opportunities to reduce environmental impact; work with factories to create reduction plans and track progress over time
- Identify key opportunities to improve worker wellbeing; work with factories to implement programs
- Provide/organize trainings for suppliers on key sustainability topics
- While focus of this role will be on manufacturing supply chain, similar principles may apply to environmental and social standards in our distribution centers and retail stores.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with people from different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
- Self-directed, don’t need or want a lot of over-the-shoulder management; ability to create and maintain timelines and consistently meet deadlines
- Extreme attention to detail and proven ability to organize complex datasets
- Know how to get a lot done efficiently without endless resources
More practical skills needed
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally with focus on sustainability; graduate degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years working in social or environmental sustainability
- Understanding of apparel supply chain with experience working with factories in the US and abroad; social and environmental audit experience is a plus
- Familiarity with human rights standards and organizations including Fair Trade, Fair Labor Association, SA800, SMETA, WRAP, etc.
- Familiarity with environmental standards and organizations including the Higg Index, OekoTex, Bluesign, etc.
- Expert in Microsoft Office and Google Drive.