OVO is recruiting for a Policy and Public Affairs Manager.
What will I be doing?
The Policy and Public Affairs Manager will manage policy and research projects. They will carry out advocacy work to influence decisions made by government and other stakeholders. Their responsibilities will range from understanding regulation to drafting policy positions, from planning public affairs campaigns to communicating internally and from technical analysis to high level strategy.
Key responsibilities include
- Manage the research and drafting of policy positions based on up to date/conversant knowledge of relevant legislation and political developments that impact OVO’s strategy and business model.
- Proactively stay abreast of political developments and changing energy, environment and climate change policy.
- Track and analyse relevant legislation and policy proposals, Identify risks and opportunities for OVO Energy and the OVO Group companies in terms of policy change and messaging landscape. Make recommendations for next steps/stances depending on impact on business.
- Provide information and analysis on parliamentary activities, and alert and advise the business on threats and opportunities arising on specific issues.
- Identify useful evidence to enhance messaging and liaise with business to source evidence.
- Co-ordinate and author the business’s written and oral evidence to Parliamentary committees, questions and consultations.
- Support the Corporate Affairs team and the rest of the business by communicating company policy positions and messaging. Thiscould involve drafting press releases, media facing Q&A and managing press inquiries via MPs.
- Keep the senior management team and operational teams up to date on policy change proposals, seeking expert input to inform positions where required.
- Brief senior management on policy positions and suggested messaging ahead of meetings with Government and press activity.
- Public Affairs
- Support the development and delivery of a strategy for OVO’s policy and public affairs activity.
- Oversee and manage high profile national policy projects and monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of these projects using performance indicators and outcome measures.
- Lead, develop and implement effective and appropriate public affairs strategies to deliver PlanZero (e.g. smart meter policies to increase adoption, value from domestic flexibility).
- Build and manage relationships with key external stakeholders, including MPs, peers, and officials within UK government departments, other public bodies and other industry members
- Provide insight and expertise on stakeholder approaches including recommendations for engagement and lines of messaging to the senior team.
- Represent OVO on key policy and campaign issues externally.
- Provide recommendations and contribute to overarching corporate affairs strategy.
- Provide secretariat/chair services in OVO led associations. Including leading the drafting of briefings for, and engagement with, key policy officials on their behalf.
Is this the job for me?
Ideally you will be/have the following:
- Degree level education or, significant relevant experience in lieu of this;
- A wealth of experience in public affairs or policy experience, in-house or agency;
- Experience of working in public policy, public affairs, public relations, or political work – preferably at national level;
- Good knowledge of UK energy, environment and climate change policy and processes, and the wider political landscape;
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to engage audiences through effective narrative and innovative content;
- Strong networks in the energy policy and public affairs space, with relationships across the political spectrum;
- Effective networking and influencing skills;
- Experience of managing political monitoring systems to gather intelligence and proven success in applying intelligence to work plans;
- Some technical knowledge of energy retail, the transition to a zero carbon grid and flexible energy systems;
- Experience developing and delivering proactive communication campaigns that drive impact;
- Experience writing campaign collateral, including government and or regulatory consultation responses;
- An ability to grasp technical or regulatory detail quickly;
- Proven project management skills, with an ability to see the bigger picture and deliver work at a fast pace;
- Skilled at writing with an ability to explain complex topics and issues in a way that is accessible to a wide range of audiences;
- Adaptable and flexible approach to plans, able to respond confidently and positively to changing scenarios;
- Ability to manage internal and external stakeholders and ability to build, develop and maintain relationships and present confidently to senior stakeholders; and
- Able to operate independently as part of a small, hard-working team and prepared to assist outside of office hours where necessary to meet project requirements.