Whole Foods Market is looking for a Policy Director.
The Policy Director is responsible for managing policy and public affairs matters for WFM and developing a communications strategy that positions the company and its executives as thought leaders and innovators in the natural and organic retail industry. This role is also responsible for maintaining relationships with key business partners both internally and externally, including policy makers, NGO representatives and members of Amazon’s public policy and sustainability teams. The Policy Director is responsible for identifying and developing core policies for both proactive and reactive communications to ensure consistent messaging and brand positioning, particularly focused on innovation, quality and sustainability. He or she will also work closely with other members of leadership on the Communications team on issues tied to employment and corporate reputation.
- Work in tandem with global communications team to ensure internal and external messaging regarding food policy, Quality Standards and sustainability is accurate, consistent and disseminated in a timely manner to appropriate stakeholders to inform business decisions.
- Establish objectives and milestones to achieve short and long-term goals, embedding policy and strategy across business units.
- Build and maintain relationships with key internal business partners and relevant external organizations, including NGO representatives and policy makers.
- Prioritize the policy issues that are most important to Whole Foods Market, our customers and other key stakeholders.
- Track and manage key policy issues related to WFM’s business, partnering with relevant members of Amazon’s Public Policy team and WFM’s internal business leads, including legal, operations and Team Member Services.
- Contributes to senior-level conversations guiding strategic direction of business leads in the areas of sustainability, quality assurance & safety and food and retail policy.
- Is accountable for ongoing assessments of agreed upon strategies, recommending shifts, changes in direction and responsiveness to marketplace issues.
- Ensure that Whole Foods Market maintains its reputation as an industry leader on food issues and topics tied to our mission to Nourish People and the Planet.
- Serve as eyes and ears for pending policy issues and liaise with Amazon’s Public Policy team to coordinate and execute strategy, including internal and external messaging recommendations.
- Maintain high-touch relationships with the Whole Foods Market Quality Standards, Legal and Product teams.
- Work cross-functionally to develop and implement successful marketing, corporate communications and PR strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in policy or communications, or a related field preferred.
- 8 – 10 years’ relevant experience in policy or communications.
- Experience working with grocery or food retailers is a plus.
- Ability to react quickly and work against tight deadlines.
- Strategic mindset but be able to execute at a tactical level and drive progress.
- Collaborative and highly motivated with a proven ability to work effectively in a dynamic, fast-moving, and cross functional environment; high ethical standards and integrity; stay calm in high-pressure situations.
- Outstanding communication and writing skills, presents clear and compelling arguments, demonstrates sound judgment, impeccable follow through, able to see big picture and immediate business needs simultaneously.
- Sound project management skills with the ability to manage multiple missions in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in and contribute to a collaborative team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, to interact with a range of people at various levels.