The United Nations Foundation is recruiting for a Policy Manager, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data.
Working closely with the Senior Director of Policy and the secretariat team, the Policy Manager will lead GPSDD’s advocacy on data financing. S/he will bring an in-depth understanding of financing for development, donor dynamics and multi-lateral politics as well as experience with the United Nations and UN processes, and will be eager to apply this experience to global advocacy on data. S/he will be joining a dynamic team based around the world that supports a vibrant and innovative network working to improve data for better decisions.
- Lead on GPDD’s policy work to influence the landscape of data financing, including through specific projects and broader partner engagement and advocacy. This will include:
- Leading a strategy to build political support for data and statistics in the agriculture sector and with a focus on the UN’s Rome-based Agencies; and
- Leading GPSDD’s engagement and support for the Bern Network on Financing for Development Data and advocacy around its five-point Action Agenda.
- Assess political dynamics and trends around Overseas Development Assistance (ODA) for data and statistics, digital transformation and innovation and identify entry points for advocacy and increasing support.
- Track policy issues arising from GPSDD’s national and regional engagement and create linkages to advocacy on financing for data and innovation.
- Maintain an awareness of the landscape and debates on data for development, and funding for digital transformation and innovation more broadly, and cross-cutting policy issues in relation to implementation and monitoring of the Sustainable Development Goals and multilateral politics.
- Support the GPSDD’s policy work by conducting research, analysis and writing, executing convenings, and contributing to the overall strategy.
- Proactively identify opportunities for the GPSDD to play a useful role in debates and policy development on financing for data and the SDGs.
- Act as the primary GPSDD liaison with key partners and support GPSDD’s partner engagement strategy.
- Represent GPSDD externally as needed.
- Author reports, blogs and other knowledge products.
- Work with the Communications team to develop content as needed.
- Maintaining working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Drafting and reviewing agreements and maintaining an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attending training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned.
- 7 years’ experience in international development and financing, development data, or foreign policy and master’s degree in related field.
- At least 3 years’ experience in UN or other multilateral setting.
- Knowledge of the food and agriculture sector preferred.
- Proven ability to research, analyze, and write on a variety of policy and development issues.
- Proven ability to work across departments and with partners from different organizations to accomplish mission.
- Communications skills (listening, speaking, and writing).
- Continuous learning skills and the ability to synthesize information.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to flexibly manage multiple tasks with attention to detail and deadlines.
- Team player that is interested in being part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professionals.
- Willingness to help out with tasks beyond their immediate role when needed.
- Sense of humor and ability to work well with individuals from very different cultural and institutional backgrounds.
- Experience with the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Multi-cultural experience.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.