Acre seek a passionate, technically capable communicator and leader for the role of Public Affairs and Chief Sustainability Officer.
The Public Affairs and Chief Sustainability Officer is the key strategic position responsible for promoting American Seafoods’ interests throughout the complex regulatory, political, and competitive environment and to do so while championing and shaping our leadership in the environmental and social agenda. As an important member of the leadership team, this leader will help shape the future of the company in cooperation with other members of the executive team, including the Company’s Chief Executive Officer, Chief Legal Officer, President Fishing, CFO, President Logistics, and Sales and Marketing. S/he will be a powerful thinker, an agile politician, and an active advocate for the Company and Corporate Responsibility to the public and regulatory bodies. As the leader of American Seafoods Public Affairs and Sustainability, this person will be on the global stage of Oceans, Fisheries, Sustainable Protein, and business strategy.
Who do we need to join us?
American Seafoods’ fisheries and practices are often cited as best-in-class in terms of environmental sustainability.
Our impact on the planet today is amongst the lowest impact of any protein company, and we want to continue to lead that charge, by reducing even further our footprint. We want to take a leadership role in reducing our ecological footprint through fleet renewal strategies, technological breakthroughs, offsetting carbon use, and even through our growth strategy by managing investments in new product portfolios. We want to celebrate our diversity and reinvest in the communities in which we operate, including the rich heritage of Western Alaska. We want to be part of the technological solutions that will support our annual harvests while minimizing our impact on the plant. We seek a passionate, technically capable communicator and leader who wants to led this transformation strategy in-house and also across the industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversight of the development of legislative and regulatory strategies relating to fisheries in which the Company operates as well as strategies relating to vessel, environmental, and other maritime issues (direct report focused in this space.)
- Shape the external story about American Seafoods and its sustainability journey
- Monitor and influence fishery policy and regulations through participation and leadership in meetings of regional fishery management councils, collaboration with industry associations, and legislative lobbying efforts
- Interpret regulatory developments as they apply to the company and direct strategies for effective communication to protect the company’s interests from undue government interference
- Development of next generation Sustainability strategies for the company, including audacious goals and business and technological strategies to hit them.
- Identify and develop business strategies to increase new opportunities related to the Company’s business and our leadership in Sustainability.
- Advise the Company regarding Sustainability in connection with financings, acquisitions and sales
- Leadership and influence at forums of scientific advisory groups, global movements in sustainability, etc.
- Prior success in developing and executing Sustainability journeys with other companies of similar size and scope
- A solid understanding of the commercial fishing industry and intricacies of operating in the highly-regulated and sustainable fisheries in the United States
- Strong external public relations expertise to develop and manage communications to key stakeholders including investors, governmental agencies, industry organizations. Ability to shape the communication and story
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with industry associations and global forums to define and achieve common objectives
- Experience in the Carbon marketplaces, energy alternatives and overall sustainability methodologies.
- Practical business understanding of our organization’s business and regulatory issues
- Ability to analyze complex technical, regulatory, legislative language, including doing research on technical, legislative and policy-making documents
- Consistent ethical and moral appropriateness and professional credibility
- Strategic and analytical thinking-including putting business savvy solutions in place – not content with either good for the planet or good for business, but both good for the planet, the team, the shareholders all at once.
- Ability to travel approximately 20% of time
- Bachelor’s degree (required); science or engineering preferred.
- Juris Doctorate Degree from recognized law school of national standing (preferred)
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Public Affairs roles with at least 5 years recently in Corporate Responsibility.