There is a new opportunity at Ricardo Energy & Environment for a Senior Consultant – Climate Change Adaptation.
As an important member of the Climate Action Planning and Transparency (CAPT) team, the primary focus of your role will be to contribute to project delivery, and business development regarding all aspects of climate adaptation planning processes at national and sub-national scales.
Working with local, regional and national governments in the UK and around the world, including on projects funded and commissioned by multilateral development banks, bilateral agencies and development partners, projects may include:
- Identifying and prioritising climate vulnerabilities, risks and adaptation options
- Assessing adaptation-mitigation co-benefits
- Mainstreaming adaptation into sectoral policies, strategies and funds
- Developing costed implementation plans for adaptation actions, and associated finance strategies
- Developing monitoring and evaluation frameworks (including indicators) for adaptation policies, plans, and programmes.
Delivery of these projects may include occasional international travel for short periods (e.g. 1-2 weeks), subject to Covid-19 restrictions.
Specific tasks will be dependent on experience and interests, but are likely to include: bid and project management; liaising with clients and subcontractors; developing and implementing methodologies; desk-based research and policy analysis; organising and facilitating virtual and face-to-face stakeholder consultations, workshops, and capacity-building events; and development of final project outputs.
In all aspects of this role, you will work with a highly-experienced, cross-disciplinary team of consultants. You will have the opportunity to make an impact and shape projects, learning from colleagues and contributing your skills and experience. Our CAPT team has recently completed or is currently undertaking projects in many countries across Asia-Pacific, Africa and South America, including with regard to development and implementation of National Adaptation Plans, and adaptation elements of Nationally Determined Contributions and Long-Term Strategies. We are also supporting local authorities and regional bodies in the UK to respond to the climate emergency and deliver ‘net zero’ ambitions, including from an adaptation perspective.
Key competencies and experience
- Higher degree in a numerate/scientific subject, or equivalent academic experience
- Understanding of the adaptation planning process and experience at city, sub-national and/or national level
- Experience of undertaking climate vulnerability and/or risk assessments
- Knowledge of international climate change policy (e.g. UNFCCC) regarding adaptation
- Experience of facilitating virtual and face-to-face stakeholder consultations, workshops, and capacity-building events
- Strong literacy in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience of working in a consultancy environment
- Experience of working in different cultural environments
- Fluency in a second language.
Skills and behaviours
- Proactive, able to work independently and demonstrate initiative
- A team player, able to adopt leadership and support roles dependent on the needs, as part of a cross-disciplinary team
- Aptitude for using your technical knowledge creatively to address new challenges
- Appropriate accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent, culturally-sensitive interpersonal skills
- Strongly motivated to continue learning
- Organisation and time-management skills
- Flexibility, resilience, enthusiasm, and willingness to travel overseas occasionally on short-term (e.g. 1-2 week) assignments.