Walmart is seeking a Senior Director II, Strategic Initiatives – ESG, Trust & Transparency.
What you’ll do
This position is responsible for leading Walmart’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Trust and Transparency department, shaping Walmart’s ESG agenda, elevating Walmart’s ESG disclosures, practices and ratings, building corresponding institutional capability across the enterprise, and helping to advance the field of ESG externally.
An individual in this position will be expected to perform additional job-related responsibilities and duties as assigned and/or necessary.
The individual in this role is responsible for leading Walmart’s ESG department and continuing to strengthen institutional capability across the company to elevate Walmart ESG performance among investors and other stakeholders.
An individual must be able to successfully perform the essential functions of this position with or without a reasonable accommodation which include:
- Shape Walmart’s ESG issues agenda.
- Lead the research and analysis required to prioritize ESG issues, advise Walmart teams on development of shared value strategies with respect to priority ESG issues, and shape communications regarding shared value creation for investor and thought leader audiences.
- Lead the company’s periodic “ESG materiality review” and annual updates; develop ESG messaging and work with Investor Relations and Corporate Communications on the strategy to reach target audiences (including the annual ESG Report, direct investor and other stakeholder engagement, and other channels).
- Advance the maturity of Walmart’s ESG measurement, ESG infrastructure and ESG governance capability.
- Direct the development of the processes, roles, systems, and controls to continuously improve Walmart disclosures on relevant topics in public-facing reporting.
- Engage ESG Disclosure Committee leaders and corresponding teams to refresh and execute the capability-building agenda (including, for example, implementing a Maturity Action Plan; monitoring and addressing changes in the regulatory or capital markets environment regarding ESG disclosures).
- Collaborate closely with the Controllers Office, Investor Relations, Governance, Legal and key functional and segment leaders.
- Develop and lead Walmart’s ESG engagement strategy with investors, asset managers, and ESG thought leaders in a rapidly evolving field.
- Elevate Walmart shared value leadership on relevant ESG topics.
- Lead analysis of the ESG investment sector in coordination with Investor Relations (identifying relevant shifts in the landscape of investors, asset managers, ESG analysts, relevant capital markets consortia engaged in ESG, academic thought leaders, regulators); work with Investor Relations to engage key investors; work with Governance and Legal on the public disclosure of ESG information; facilitate consideration of Walmart inclusion in relevant ESG indices and benchmarks in collaboration with Investor Relations.
- Improve Walmart’s performance on priority external ESG assessments by strengthening disclosures and/or practices.
- Set priorities for engaging in external ESG assessments; understand Walmart’s current performance on priority assessments; identify opportunities to improve performance with respect to company practices, policies and implementation.
- Understand trends in ESG disclosures (e.g., big data) and implications for Walmart ESG disclosures. Example priority ESG topics: climate change; human capital management; racial and gender equity; sustainable supply chains; product/food safety; data security/privacy; compliance; governance.
- Shape Walmart ESG communications to improve investor and other stakeholder understanding of Walmart’s ESG policies, practices, and performance.
- Oversee development of an annual ESG report, ESG issue briefs, priority ESG surveys, ratings agency responses as to ESG matters, investor ESG inquiries, investor-focused publications/materials (annual investor meeting, shareholders meeting, earnings releases) regarding ESG topics and matters, and Walmart shared value narratives.
- Identify and speak at external ESG events to highlight Walmart’s shared value strategy as well as share perspectives on best-practice ESG measurement.
- Help advance the ESG disclosure and assessment sector, including advocating for ESG frameworks, standards and assessments that foster long-termism, creation of shared value (“stakeholder capitalism”), and the transformation of societal systems for social and environmental sustainability.
- Provide thought leadership on best and “next” practices in forums, conferences and written materials.
- Lead the ESG department and a matrixed/“dotted-line” ESG disclosure team drawn from across the enterprise, including from Investor Relations, Controllership, Governance, Legal, Communications, Ethics and Compliance, People, Sustainability.
- Develop and implement strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled, diverse and engaged workforce, by recruiting, selecting, and developing talent, planning succession, building an inclusive and equitable environment; and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent.
- Cultivate an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; support the Open Door Policy.
Traveling is necessary to perform one or more essential functions of this position. Travels domestically and internationally to and from multiple facilities or work-sites requiring consecutive overnight stays.
- 6 years experience as CSO of a retail/CPG company, or as leader of an ESG analysis/assessment firm, or as leader of an ESG department within an asset management firm
- 10 years experience leading division of an NGO, governmental organization, consulting firm or corporation that included strategy development and portfolio of cross-functional projects related to ESG issues.
- 6 years experience Strategic planning, preparing and executing operating plans and budgets
- 1-3 years experience Sustainability – Social and/or Environmental
- 1-3 years experience working in a matrixed organization
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or extensive experience leading ESG or IR department
- 8 years experience in financial planning and analysis, with exposure to ESG 10 years experience working on environmental or social issues, including program impact evaluation
- 8 years experience managing multiple, concurrent projects
- 10 years experience managing external & internal stakeholders
- 5 years experience working in a communications function on environmental or social topics
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Environmental Science, Social Science, Communications, or related field and 7 years’ experience managing cross-functional projects for governmental or non-governmental organizations, consulting firms, or corporations
- 11 years’ experience managing cross-functional projects for governmental or non-governmental organizations, consulting firms, or corporations.
- 3 years’ supervisory experience
- Developing and managing project budgets for governmental or non-governmental organizations, consulting firms, or corporations
- Managing project teams in a matrix environment
- Managing strategic initiatives (for example, environmental sustainability, social sustainability, women’s economic empowerment)
- Masters: International Studies
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Environmental Science, Social Science, Communications, or related field and 6 years’ experience managing cross-functional projects for governmental or non-governmental organizations, consulting firms, or corporations
- 10 years’ experience managing cross-functional projects for governmental or non-governmental organizations, consulting firms, or corporations.