The Good Food Institute is looking for a Senior Legislative Specialist.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will have the opportunity to lobby for essential research funding and policies that level the playing field for alternative proteins. The Senior Legislative Specialist will be responsible for:
- Meeting regularly with congressional staff on funding priorities and USDA and FDA policy.
- Collaborating with other GFI staff to showcase their expertise via Hill visits and congressional briefings.
- Drafting legislation and writing letters, comments, policy briefs, and fact sheets to support GFI’s policy priorities.
- Cultivating relationships with other nonprofit organizations, including those focused on environmental, global hunger, public health, free speech, and food safety issues, to build alliances and support for public research funding and commonsense policies that maximize consumer choice.
- Promptly and accurately recording all time and money spent lobbying.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The Senior Legislative Specialist must have:
- A minimum of three years’ federal lobbying experience or similar experience working in a federal Congressional office.
- The ability to communicate effectively with both Republican and Democratic members of Congress and their staff.
- A working understanding of federal legislative procedure.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex information clearly in writing and in oral presentations.
- A strong work ethic and self-motivation, including the desire to spend a significant amount of time on Capitol Hill.
- A solutions-oriented mindset.
- A high degree of organization and efficiency.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- The ability to work well independently and under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- The ability to work creatively and effectively as a member of a team.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission.