Google has a job opening for Senior Manager, Government Affairs and Public Policy, Google News – San Francisco, Mountain View, New York or Washington D.C.
About The Job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
You will manage projects across a host of issues; coordinate with the global team/key cross-functional partners to execute our government affairs strategy; and advise product, business and engineering teams on the public policy implications of their work. You will organize, manage, and communicate about critical plans, initiatives, and strategy. You will need first-rate analytical and organizational skills, the ability to communicate effectively in person and writing, an aptitude for learning, an ability to develop/implement creative ideas, and the discipline to manage competing projects with tight deadlines.
- Develop public policy strategy for Google News, including working with a cross-functional team to design Google’s policy positions and strategies to support our global business objectives, and drive favorable policy and regulatory outcomes.
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues affecting Google’s news product offerings, including copyright, misinformation, competition and our engagement with the media ecosystem.
- Work within a global team to develop public policy strategies and positions for Google’s products, including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on those positions.
- Engage directly with policymakers, industry players, and key opinion formers to engage in policy/political dialogue on the future sustainability of news and Google’s role in supporting quality journalism.
- Work closely with teams across Google (Product, Business, Engineering) to advise on product development and emerging issues impacting Google News and Internet users globally.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience working on technology policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
- Direct experience at a technology company, trade association, NGO or similar organization dealing with technology policy issues with international implications
- Experience within the news ecosystem.
- Experience advising product or engineering teams.
- Familiarity with Internet technologies and the surrounding policy environments.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills. Ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously.