Athleta is looking for a Senior Manager, Sustainability Lead.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to Athleta’s Chief Product Officer, the Sr. Manager of Sustainability is responsible for defining and implementing Athleta’s bold social and environmental sustainability vision, goals and strategy across all Athleta product categories, stores, our growing customer base, our global supply chain and our employees.
The Sr. Manager of Sustainability creates and executes the strategic direction and plans for a Division or multiple Divisions. This role will also work with a cross-functional team that includes; Design, Gap Inc. Sourcing (GIS), Merchandising, R&D, Tech Services, IM, Allocation Communications, Marketing and Inc. Global Sustainability, responsible for integrating sustainability into product and strategies to support the end-to-end process.
The role will leverage the enterprise sustainability team for shared services such as measurement, tools & resources, tracking of key performance indicators (KPIs), as well as internal and external reporting. This role will further serve as the Athleta point person for enterprise sustainability priorities in key impact pillars including woman’s empowerment, water, climate and waste.
Responsibilities – WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build and implement Athleta’s sustainability strategy
- Project manage Athleta’s sustainability projects, deliver to budget expectations, report on progress and escalate critical issues
- Support B Corp which includes relationship management, recertification process and internal governance
- Drive integration of product sustainability goals into Athleta’s LRPs and Product Strategy roadmaps
- Support training, education and awareness building on product sustainability and circular product design
- Serve as technical subject matter expert on product sustainability – attributes, certifications, social & environmental impact
- Drive internal reporting on Athleta’s product sustainability progress and goals
- Maintain up-to-date industry/competitor benchmarking on product sustainability developments, targets, goals
- Partner with Athleta brand marketing team to ensure accurate product sustainability claims and messaging
- Support product sustainability marketing claims approval process
- Engage with cross-functional business partners in product design, merchandising, production and sourcing to drive sustainable product strategies
- Identify and support external engagement opportunities for Athleta across publications, speaking opportunities, and conferences
WHO YOU ARE
- Background in apparel product development is required
- Social & environmental sustainability expertise is preferred
- Technical fabric expertise is preferred
- Background in fabric mill, product development is ideal
- Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline
- 5-8 years’ experience in related field and/or organization
- Influence, collaboration and partnership skills end-to-end
- Innovative by nature
- Proven ability to work across geographies and cultures
- Knowledge of sustainability issues, trends and risks
- General understanding of the retail industry, specifically as it relates to social and environmental impact, sourcing and the apparel manufacturing industry
- Specific understanding of P2M process and sustainable production methods preferred
- Based in San Francisco, CA
- 15-20% domestic and international travel