The position of Senior Sustainability Analyst has become available at Aurora Organic Dairy.
The Senior Sustainability Analyst will help ensure Aurora Organic Dairy builds upon its dedication to environmental stewardship and continues to be an industry leader in cow and employee care. Strengthening the organization’s sustainability competency begins with developing an understanding of the Company’s impacts and underlying data and assessing risks and strategic opportunities from a stakeholder perspective. The Sustainability Department facilitates progress by partnering closely with key personnel to promote awareness, set goals, identify potential opportunities, generate and research solutions, make the business case for projects, and support project execution companywide.
Reporting to the Sustainability Manager, the Senior Sustainability Analyst is uniquely positioned to gain exposure to leaders across all company departments- including crop growing, dairy farming, logistics, milk processing, sales and finance. The Senior Sustainability Analyst supports Aurora Organic Dairy’s sustainability strategy by leveraging their greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting skillset and understanding daily operations and internal databases to support the creation and maintenance of a variety of analyses to determine/measure the company’s impacts.
- Own the process of gathering primary and secondary data across various departments on a regular basis to calculate and report GHGs—from crop to cow to carton. Calculate the GHG models, analyze drivers and interpret results to report to various stakeholder groups internal and external to the organization.
- Maintain and update Aurora Organic Dairy’s product life cycle assessment (LCA); conduct GHG calculations for new products with methodologies that align with UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
- Change (IPCC) protocols for calculating agricultural emissions; and clearly communicate the story to senior leaders.
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) through designing an enterprise-level data collection and tracking program that streamlines the ongoing reporting of key metrics and the company’s progress toward sustainability goals. Regularly monitor, analyze, and interpret the data to track current key metric progress and forecast future performance.
- Collaborate with leaders across the organization to define sustainability goals and set performance objectives that align with our three pillars of sustainability.
- Support various teams across the organization to develop the business case for sustainability initiatives and provide implementation support. Serve as the SME to carry out financial analysis of performance data as it pertains to our three pillars of sustainability. Initiatives may include responsible farming, renewable energy and energy efficiency, cow care, product packaging and employee care.
- Prepare periodic data submissions to customers, data aggregators, and rating agencies.
- Assist in the creation of the Sustainability Report, which has been recognized globally in prior years for excellence in sustainability reporting. Primary responsibilities to include managing the extraction of quantitative data from the enterprise-level program to inclusion within the Sustainability Report. Ensure the data aligns with external reporting frameworks such as the GRI Standards. Collaborate with a creative designer and editor to translate the quantitative data into a format that is easily communicated to stakeholders.
- Contribute to internal and external sustainability training and communications focused on building brand reputation across stakeholders.
- Prepare presentations for customer meetings, internal sales teams and senior leaders as needed.
- Serve as an author of internal success stories related to best practices in sustainability.
- Participate with and partner with industry groups.
Knowledge & Experience
- Bachelor´s degree preferably in Environmental Science, Sustainability, Business Administration or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of relevant experience including specific experience in GHG inventories, LCAs and reporting standards such as the GHG Protocol.
- Exceptional quantitative, analytical, and critical thinking skills. The capacity to develop a deep understanding of data and complex Excel models, with the ability to also speak to the big picture.
- Fast learner with excellent critical thinking, research and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with proven ability to multi-task while showing attention to detail.
- Strong MS Excel skills required.
- Ability to work with integrity, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet specific timelines and deliverables.
- Ability to deal with confidential information.
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate across diverse teams.
- Intellectual curiosity and drive to do things better for our animals, people and planet.
- Bilingual/Spanish skills a plus.