The position of Specialist, Energy and Sustainability Liaison has become available at DCPS (District of Columbia Public Schools).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Applies deep content knowledge and relevant expertise to DCPS projects and general operations; and advises senior management in specific area of focus and helps build competency in others.
- Develops strategy and clear, specific, and ambitious performance measures for individual projects that are easily translated into individual work goals and deliverables for other team members.
- Creates detailed timelines for each initiative; assesses and tracks project progress regularly using various computer programs and tools; and drives project completion holding others accountable for responsibilities and deadlines.
- Helps manage the analysis and presentation of data and progress of data-driven initiatives for senior management team and external audiences; and communicates progress to key stakeholder groups and incorporates their input.
- Anticipates, identifies, and resolves complex obstacles to success of overall program as well as specific projects.
- Interviews and surveys other colleagues and management teams to determine opportunities for improvement; researches specific issues; and develops detailed recommendations and implementation plans to resolve.
- Builds relationships and liaises with various internal departments to drive collaboration and project success; and interacts with and responds effectively to urgent requests from multiple internal and external DCPS stakeholders.
- Works closely with DGS and DCPS staff members and their respective Chief Financial Officer (CFO) budget teams to track fixed costs (gas, electric, and water) appropriately.
- Partners with DGS to execute sustainability programs, such as the DC Green Schools Challenge.
- Serves as the liaison to the School Garden Specialist within the Office of the State Superintendent for Education (OSSE).
- Serves as the DCPS representative for the District Government’s Sustainable DC Plan.
- Works closely with principals and teachers to understand, catalog, and address specific site-level energy and sustainability needs and concerns.
- Supports project coordination between DCPS and DC agencies for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, including, but not limited to, building audits, energy conservation measures/retrofits, storm water management projects, solar installations, and behavior-based conservation programs.
- Works with principals and custodial staff to support the implementation of enhanced recycling and composting programs.
- Develops recommendations and a roadmap to continue supporting sustainability efforts year to year.
- Bachelor’s degree and three to five years of related work experience.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
- Previous experience in LEED, sustainability and energy projects required
- Project management and community outreach experience required.
Personal Qualities of Top Candidates
- Commitment to Equity: Passionate about closing the achievement gap and ensuring that every child, regardless of background or circumstance, receives an excellent education.
- Leadership: Coaches, mentors, and challenges others to excel despite obstacles and challenging situations.
- Focus on Data-Driven Results: Relentlessly pursues the improvement of central office performance and school leadership, instruction, and operations, and is driven by a desire to produce quantifiable student achievement gains.
- Innovative Problem-Solving: Approaches work with a sense of possibility and sees challenges as opportunities for creative problem solving; takes initiative to explore issues and find potential innovative solutions.
- Adaptability: Excels in constantly changing environments and adapts flexibly in shifting projects or priorities to meet the needs of a dynamic transformation effort; comfortable with ambiguity and non-routine situations.
- Teamwork: Increases the effectiveness of surrounding teams through collaboration, constant learning and supporting others; sensitive to diversity in all its forms; respects and is committed to learning from others.
- Dependability: Does whatever it takes to consistently deliver with high quality under tight deadlines; successfully manages own projects through strong organization, detailed workplans, and balancing of multiple priorities.
- Communication and Customer Service Skills: Communicates clearly and compellingly with diverse stakeholders in both oral and written forms; anticipates and responds to customer needs in a high-quality and courteous manner.