The position of Sr. Manager External Affairs (Petcare) has become available at Mars.
This position is primarily responsible for the development and implementation of Mars Pet Nutrition corporate reputation strategies that promote the company’s purpose and brands. The role will drive US programing with the objective of achieving and supporting global scale. This role is responsible for creating and enhancing the company’s image with external audiences (including opinion leaders such as reporters in traditional and digital media, consumers, industry group leaders, non-profit groups, and public officials). This individual will also support other key Mars purpose initiatives including our Sustainable in a Generation plan.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelors degree in communications, marketing, journalism or associated profession is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- 8+ years relevant professional experience in brand communications with proven success leading, developing, and managing communications programs.
- Proven success in leading communications across multiple brands and businesses is preferred.
- Experience as a spokesperson
- Agency experience a plus as is CPG experience
- Ability to travel
What would be your key responsibilities?
- Drive strategy for BETTER CITIES FOR PETS, the company’s signature campaign including partnership on overall strategy, the day-to-day plan, operations and execution in partnership with Director of External Affairs.
- Play lead role in driving and executing strategic partnerships to build scale for the BETTER CITIES FOR PETS program (e.g. travel with Hilton Hotel group and Nashville International Airport as first certified BCFP airport, retail, restaurants, etc.)
- Collaborate with External Affairs and Global Marketing teams to integrate our brand and purpose communications with programs like Sheba Coral Sustainability and the collaboration of the Cesar brand with the Better Cities for Pets platform.
- Serve on a cross-functional team in partnership with global Pet Nutrition to drive our Sustainable in a Generation plans for achieving packaging sustainability commitments by 2025.
- Drive strategy and programming in partnership with a global cross-segment Pet Nutrition team in support of our ambition to End Pet Homelessness in line with OGSM.
- Collaborate with North American Public Affairs, Global Petcare and Mars, Inc. corporate communications and Public Affairs teams to drive actionable change by influencing policy that furthers our purpose, including key external partnerships like American Heart Association.
- Manage corporate and brand reputation agency and collaborate with marketing and the full team of Mars Pet Nutrition creative agencies to ensure successful program development and execution that meets or exceeds all aligned measures.
- Participate in the marketing collaborative planning process to develop integrated communications campaigns.
- Conduct ongoing research, measurement, message development and program evaluation.
- Understand and benchmark competitive environment and ensure leading-edge programming.
- Represent Mars Petcare as company spokesperson as needed.
- Build and maintain relationships with key media contacts, especially business and trade media to drive our corporate and purpose initiatives.
What can you expect from Mars?
- Commitment to make A Better World For Pets a world where they’re healthy, happy and welcome.
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry-competitive compensation package including generous benefits(i.e.401k, pension, health, etc.)
- Commitment to our Purpose and our five Principles.
- An environment where all Associates feel valued, supported and comfortable being themselves at work.
- The opportunity to work cross-functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.