Microsoft Cloud Operations & Innovation seeks new Senior Project Manager in Energy Markets, focused on the Americas region (North, Central & South America).
The candidate will manage a portfolio of activities to optimize and execute opportunities in datacenter energy supply and technology, including: support site selection efforts, lead datacenter interconnection strategy and execution in partnership with utilities, develop business cases for new technology applications, communicate project needs and manage relationships across internal and external stakeholders, negotiate energy rate tariffs/special contracts, and identify market conditions and regulations material to large power consumers.
The candidate will have the ability to develop creative solutions that combine knowledge of regulated and deregulated power markets to deliver power to Microsoft datacenters. In addition, the candidate should be capable of developing commercial applications for advanced energy technologies. The candidate will need to broadly understand the dynamics of energy markets and Microsoft’s own unique position in the energy sector. This necessitates that the candidate brings an innovative, collaborative presence to the role towards driving commercial & technology execution to realize business goals, lower costs and meet sustainability targets.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Lead datacenter interconnection and energy supply contract development with utilities and third party energy suppliers in support of Microsoft’s datacenter businesses in the Americas.
- Assist in the analysis of energy industry trends, market policy and regulations to proactively identify opportunities to reduce cost, minimize risk, and advance sustainability.
- Partner with globally distributed internal stakeholders on site selection and energy project development, e.g. distributed energy, renewables.
- Work collaboratively with external vendors and consultants on regional market research.
- Develop internal business cases including providing input on financial models and market research.
- Build relationships with external suppliers and partners, particularly electric utilities, local and regional governments, customers, and energy technology providers.
- Work with third parties to develop and monitor analytics tools for portfolio analysis.
- Business travel required (10%-25%, subject to fluctuation with business tempo).
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, engineering disciplines, or business.
- 5+ years of experience in project management and development.
- 5+ years of experience in wholesale and retail power markets.
- Broad understanding of the power industry, with specific focus on the mechanics of power markets.
- Strong analytical capabilities to support review of utility tariffs, power contracts and power market fundamentals.
- Possess an entrepreneurial, self-directed spirit and proven track record of project execution.
- Team player capable of adapting to ambiguous environments with cross-group collaboration and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications (verbal and written) skills.
- Growth mindset with problem-solving skills.
- Business experience in Central and or South America, including working proficiency in relevant languages, e.g. Spanish and/or Portuguese.
- Experience in working with energy and utility providers.
- Excellent creative thinking skills with emphasis on developing innovative solutions to solve complex problems that may not have a clear answer.
- MBA/post-graduate degree in relevant fields a plus, though experience in consulting and power/energy industries may substitute for relevant graduate education in this regard.