The position of Sustainability Analyst has become available at Republic Services.
The Sustainability Analyst is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) inventory, tools and ecosystem to support the growing sustainability initiative at Republic Services. Working closely in support of department leadership and with Operations, Information Technology, and other cross-functional stakeholders, the Sustainability Analyst supports significant portions of Republic Services’ Sustainability strategy. The Sustainability Analyst supports the sustainability organization by leveraging their GHG accounting skillset and understanding of the Company’s operations and internal databases to support the creation and maintenance of a variety of analyses to determine/measure Republic’s environmental, social and governance impacts.
- Strategy: Continuously provides input on sustainability systems, tools and capabilities to ensure proposed and implemented solutions meet stakeholder and operational demands. Supports groups of internal and external resources across all phases of project delivery including planning, requirements, development, and implementation to drive assessment and measurement capabilities.
- Deliverable Socialization: Supports the creation of process documentation, project content, and inputs into project deliverables. Supports department leadership in advocating for and socializing project deliverables with key stakeholders. Plans, facilitates, and supports business working sessions. Participates, facilitates, or supports multiple aspects of sustainability product delivery. Supports and facilitates working sessions with Corporate, Field or other subject matter experts to address gaps/open items in deliverable creation.
- Deliverable Creation: Owns the GHG and water inventories, completing calculations based on the GHG Protocol and other international standards, manage third party verification process. Develops and owns the calculations to support GRI, CDP, DJSI and other reporting frameworks. Conducts LCA, Natural Capital and other impact assessments. Facilitates calculations in other functions to support sustainability goal tracking and metrics. Works with finance to develop and track financial metrics/performance related to sustainability activities. Develops business cases for various sustainability activities/projects. Works with IT to develop and maintain queries/automation for all sustainability reporting. Develops and maintains sustainability dashboard. Supports other business development projects, as needed. Facilitates proof-of-concept and pilot activity to validate solutions and benefits. Develops all deliverables and deliverable templates and provides inputs/suggestions for quality improvement.
- Travels up to 10% of the time.
- Performs other job duties as assigned or apparent.
- 2 years of experience in waste or transportation industry.
- Demonstrated experience organizing and leading a diverse group of contributors and stakeholders to achieve objectives.
- Written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to confidently facilitate working sessions with key stakeholders at all levels.
- Results orientation and good time management skills with an ability to understand key milestones, goals, and objectives while leading groups of internal and external resources to meet project goals.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to adjust and adapt to changing conditions.
- Ability to translate sustainability issues into goals and metrics and garner excitement and generate interest in program amongst field stakeholders.
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly and exercise follow through skills, adhere to a work schedule and address challenges as they arise, maintaining a positive outlook.
- Ability to abstract information requirements from real-world processes to understand the information flows.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas and solutions to a non-technical audience via visualizations, presentations and/or reports.
- Ability to conduct complex impact analysis with limited/imperfect data and use it to influence cross functional business decisions.
- Experience in the environmental sustainability sphere, covering topics such as greenhouse gas inventories, life cycle assessments and sustainability reporting.
- Experience driving programs from start to finish with diverse stakeholders using data integrity and efficient data management processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, science, engineering or related field; or High School Diploma/GED and five (5) years of work experience in an environmental engineering, sustainability or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience quantifying, tracking, and mitigating environmental impacts and/or risks, including working with GHG inventory data.
- Experience with and knowledge of GHG Protocol, CDP Climate Change reporting, Global Reporting Initiative G4.
- Demonstrated experience with complex GHG inventory development and maintenance and other footprint assessment techniques.