Del Monte Foods, Inc. is recruiting for a Sustainability Manager.
Directs the development and execution of Del Monte’s corporate social responsibility (sustainability) strategy and plan.
- Develops external and internal sustainability strategies, including key messages, which is consistent with strategic planning and DMPL sustainability efforts.
- Designs and deploys programs that maximize Del Monte’s ability to successfully integrate sustainability practices into our business programs and processes.
- Researches and implements cost saving strategies, as well as partners with private, government and non-governmental organizations, to further reduce Del Monte’s environmental footprint.
- Creates sustainability policies to improve sustainable performance and ease of internal and external communication.
- Works closely with corporate communications to craft a consistent and inspiring message to all stakeholders regarding our efforts in sustainability.
- Facilitates large cross-functional sustainability committee (Sustainability Leadership Team) and associated working groups to define, implement and maintain Del Monte’s sustainability strategy. Works with both internal and external resources to identify opportunities and projects that allows Del Monte to improve its sustainability position.
- Manages key environmental performance indicators for energy, water and waste through a third-party sustainability software as a service platform.
- Monitors, tracks and reports on key sustainability-related government regulations such as cap-and-trade legislation, water and related environmental commodities.
- Manages corporate sustainability vendors and agencies.
- Participates and coordinates with trade association sustainability functions; e.g., Consumer Brands Association (CBA). Attends seminars and industry workshops to support ability to influence the industry on sustainability issues.
- In tandem with DMPL, responsible for the development of a sustainability report.
- Updates sustainability data, scorecards, supplier scorecards for top customers (Walmart, Safeway, Target, etc.), and sustainability website pages. Creates and maintains a Corporate Sustainability intranet site with regular updates, ensuring information contained is accurate, current and consistent with the latest collected indicators.
- Manages social compliance or responsible sourcing audits at internal plants, as well as for external co-manufacturers. Responsible for management and facilitation of responsible sourcing requests for co-manufacturers located in Asia and South America. Develop and implement responsible sourcing manual.
- Closely partners with Environmental Services team to conduct environmental audits that follow ISO 14001 and local, regional and federal environmental regulations.
- Conduct approximately 5 audits per year.
- Manage the sustainability and solid waste portion of the audits.
- Intermediate knowledge of SPCC and Universal Waste compliance. Basic to intermediate knowledge of Air and Water regulations across the country.
- Shadows environmental managers on all environmental audits and permit processing.
- Collaborates with key internal stakeholders to ensure sustainability alignment (where necessary).
- Manages corporate sustainability budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree in Business Administration, Environmental Studies or related field required.
- ISSP Certification preferred.
- 5 — 7 years of related experience in corporate sustainability; 5 additional years in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of three years’ experience of working internally within a consumer products organization; minimum of five years’ experience if strictly consulting with consumer products organizations.
- Substantial knowledge, experience and understanding of corporate social responsibility and environmental sustainability are required.
- Progressive experiences that demonstrate mastery of skills and knowledge necessary to perform responsibilities as defined.
- Ability to excel with limited direction; self-managed.
- Ability to work in an organization experiencing rapid and transformational change.
- Ability to influence others and work effectively across diverse teams.
- Strong project management and planning skills. Experience managing project budgets and subcontractors.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills required. Strong verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in performing energy payback analysis for in-place mechanical and electrical facility systems and performing technical analysis of energy projects.
- Demonstrated successful experience in organizations preparing business plans and managing operating budgets. Experience with capital allocations a plus.
- Proficiency with MS Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Content Management systems, Social Media Platforms and Outlook.