Harvard University is seeking a new Sustainability Manager.
The Sustainability Manager, reporting to the Managing Director, utilizes a change management framework with members of the University community to co-create, and drive implementation of, major University-wide initiatives and programs, including the University’s Sustainability Plan and Climate Action Plan.
The Sustainability Manager will focus on program management, planning, preparing content for, and staffing internal stakeholder groups and external partnerships focused on living lab priorities. To accomplish this, they will need to research technical solutions and propose innovative ideas on a wide range of topics, including the flagship Healthier Building Academy.
This position includes a strong focus on program and partnership development and management and governance, especially with Capital Project and Facilities leaders and their teams. They will develop and execute comprehensive project plans and strengthen relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including senior leaders, faculty, and students.
Additionally, the Manager will be responsible for envisioning and executing University-wide policies, programs, tools, and resources aimed at building a culture of sustainability on campus, identifying and developing living lab opportunities and institutionalizing best practices.
Include, but are not limited to:
- Project manage parts of the University-wide Climate Action Plan/Fossil Fuel Goals and Sustainability Plan Priorities including managing various sustainability working groups and initiatives with faculty, students and staff:
- Lead a subcommittee of the Presidential Committee on Sustainability (PCS), an executive level faculty subcommittee on priority topics related to the built environment
- Develop and manage annual workplan and project plans from conception through implementation, in collaboration with OFS Senior Team and key stakeholders including faculty, staff, and student members. Effectively execute on clear deliverables.
- Produce executive level communications.
- Advise on strategy and contribute creatively to strategic priorities.
- Development and management of new and existing governance structures and partnerships to institutionalize sustainability into University culture
- Provide strategic oversight and content management of the University-wide Sustainability Management Council (SMC) governance group and associated working groups.
- Lead the SMC planning and topic development: plan, staff, and run working group meetings.
- Research, draft, edit, and create content focused on the built environment.
- Facilitate and showcase best practices and innovation opportunities including writing case studies.
- Represent sustainability at a high-level for major capital projects and Capital Projects Review Committee (CPRC); review capital projects planning, to identify new and emerging sustainability opportunities and recommend advancements.
- Attend charrettes for major capital projects and assorted flagship projects to drive sustainability innovation.
- Drive change management aligned with University-wide strategic priorities, including implementation of policies and standards and creating tools and resources.
- Develop or improve tools to support innovation in the built environment, including the Healthier Building Academy.
- Research best practices in innovations in the built environment and sustainable development.
- Perform management and administrative duties to fulfill responsibilities:
- Manage project budgets, timelines, deliverables and reporting.
- Participate in review of candidates for employment.
- Manage student interns, part-time employees, and/or consultants as needed,
- Perform other duties and work on special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in project plan development and implementation and stakeholder engagement
- Working knowledge of building operations, sustainable and healthier building and innovative practices
- Experience working with facilities/operations staff and project managers and external supply chain
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take projects from concept through implementation
- Must be creative and enthusiastic with a high level of energy and possess the ability to initiate new creative ideas
- Ability to lead and manage teams
- Ability to present to Senior Executives and a wide array of other stakeholders
- Excellent communication, writing, presentation skills
- Ability to conduct research and analysis on various environmental issues and impacts and produce reliable metrics and statistics
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- High degree of flexibility, adaptability and general ability to respond to emerging opportunities and barriers in a constantly changing environment
- Knowledge of universities preferred
- Requires some work outside of normal business hours (including but not limited to meetings and events)
- Proficiency in MS Office suite. An ability to learn Harvard systems and web software quickly is a requirement. Proficiency in Photoshop or other design software is a plus