Virgin Atlantic looking for someone brilliant to join our sustainability team as Sustainability Manager and help us achieve our vision. Perhaps that’s you?
This is a truly exciting time to join Virgin Atlantic as we reset our ambitions for the future, having recently committed to net zero carbon emissions by 2050. As a Sustainability Manager you will play an integral part of redefining Virgin Atlantic’s sustainability agenda across the business and at the centre of the development and delivery of our revised strategy.
Our company values encompass behaving responsibly and making a difference for our people, planet, and communities. We’re committed to reducing our carbon footprint, but we also know that sustainability leadership and actions are about more than just carbon emissions.
We’re therefore looking for someone with a depth of experience across a broad range of environmental and social issues, as well as the enthusiasm and influencing skills to engage the different parts of our business in achieving our goals.
Day to Day
As a Sustainability Manager you will be part of a team responsible for the following day to day activities:
- Building strong relationships with the key stakeholders such as the Leadership Team to gain buy-in to sustainability centred initiatives, policies, and procedures
- Engaging and inspiring internal stakeholders, bringing sustainability expertise to teams across the business, highlighting opportunities, defining objectives and targets, providing expertise throughout delivery
- Driving measurable improvements by supporting business leaders to embed, measure, and report, including into a new Sustainability Governance Board
- Leading or supporting the delivery of selected projects, as prioritized by the sustainability strategy, from supply chain management to CORSIA, waste and plastic reductions, and initiatives tackling modern slavery or promoting animal welfare
- Analysing and reporting on our sustainability performance e.g. through our annual report, sustainability report, modern slavery statement and other independent assessments such as CDP and EcoVadis
- Providing engaging and timely content on sustainability initiatives, working closely with sales and marketing, social media, and PR/corporate communications colleagues
- Enhancing awareness of our sustainability programme, acting as a senior representative of the company with external stakeholders, customers, and industry associations
Would you love to play a part in Virgin Atlantic sustainability strategy, and support our future vision? Are you an excellent communicator capable of juggling multiple demands?
In addition to the above, we are looking for our successful candidate to demonstrate the following:
- Significant experience in a relevant sustainability role preferably within medium size to large organisations
- Practical experience of creating and delivering a sustainability strategy, defining, and achieving measurable results
- Broad and deep knowledge of sustainable business practices
- Successful delivery of complex, multi-stakeholder projects
- Strong stakeholder management skills, particularly with senior stakeholders
- Excellent communicator with the ability to deliver engaging, compelling, and well thought through content (both written and verbal)
- Evidence of managing, analysing, reporting, and communicating qualitative and quantitative data
- Experienced in collating information and communicating concise, accurate and engaging summaries of pertinent information – both numerical and descriptive
- Experience of working for an airline, tour operator or related travel industry
- Experience of consultancy, sales, or communications
- Degree in environment, sustainability, or other relevant subject areas