There is an exciting opportunity at Amazon for a Sustainability Science Researcher, Social Responsibility.
A Research Scientist at Amazon applies data science, subject matter expertise, and business acumen to deliver results at scale. As a Sustainability Science Researcher (Social Responsibility), you will be responsible for conducting assessments of social issues/impacts across Amazon, evaluating social sustainability impacts of value chains, from manufacturing, to transportation, to consumer. The ideal candidate will have industry experience researching key social issues/impacts/opportunities across the value chain. The candidate should be comfortable working with ambiguity, imperfect data, identifying sources of uncertainty, and finding public data or working with program teams to fill the gaps where needed. This candidate will also possess excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills to drive consensus across multiple stakeholders.
The successful candidate must have strong analytical skills and the ability to apply systems thinking to complex, fast moving problems. The candidate should have familiarity with key social issues that impact people across supply chains (e.g., labor and employment, migration, pay, worker voice, etc.). The successful candidate will work under the direction of senior business leaders, but will act as a Subject Matter Expert, leading research and building data analytics and models at scale. Amazon’s culture encourages innovation, and the candidate should be comfortable working in cold start scenarios in order to push the envelope on the hard to solve social impacts/issues.
- Manage sustainability-related research projects through all stages: ideation, modeling, data collection, data analysis, data visualization, and reporting;
- Develop reports, dashboards and metrics which distill complex data into actionable insights;
- Subject matter expert in social/human rights impact assessments, materiality studies;
- Respond to time critical questions from multiple business teams;
- Professionally communicate to senior business leaders;
- Work closely with software engineering teams to drive real-time model implementations and new feature creations; and
- Work closely with operations staff to optimize various business operations