The Howard Hughes Corporation is recruiting for a new Vice President, Sustainability.
The Vice President, Sustainability, will work in partnership with business stakeholders to enhance, manage, and coordinate The Howard Hughes Corporation’s environmental strategies and initiatives. The selected candidate will be responsible for advancing our commitment to innovative placemaking, design excellence, and sustainability that creates culturally vital and resilient communities, comprising one of the strongest real estate platforms in the United States. Our mission is to build extraordinary places, foster resilient communities and create inspiring experiences that are ecologically, socially, and economically responsible. The VP of Sustainability will act as HHC’s in-house subject matter expert on “Environmental” issues—engaging internally across all regions and departments, as well as externally with investors, consultants, sustainability rating platforms and industry associations.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Partners with development, design & construction management and operations to develop environmentally responsible communities and buildings.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, lead the evolution of our sustainability strategy, specifically focused on improving the Company’s environmental footprint and the communication of our goals, initiatives, and performance both internally and externally.
- Drive HHC’s strategy and policy positions on key Sustainability and coordinate internal stakeholders to oversee their implementation in practice.
- Will serve as the “Environmental” subject matter expert in partnership with Culture+People “Social” and Legal “Governance” to develop an ESG scorecard for the investor community.
- Lead reporting and benchmarking analysis of HHC’s sustainability program both internally and externally.
- Create success metrics and use fact-based methods in order to evaluate and improve HHC’s sustainability program.
- Assists in the production of HHC’s annual ESG report.
- Lead engagement with external stakeholders on climate and environmental management – including investors, suppliers, business partners, local communities, industry organizations, and environmental organizations.
- Work with the Operations and Strategic Development teams to determine environmental standards for existing and new construction assets.
- Monitor climate and environmental policy trends and help to manage any associated operational or reputational risks—updating or introducing policies, standards or practices as necessary.
Knowledge, Experience And Skills
- Minimum 5-10 years of direct experience in developing and driving enterprise level sustainability strategies with successful and measurable outcomes.
- Specific experience in sustainable commercial real estate energy, water and waste strategies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related fields.
- Prior experience in publicly traded companies preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and lead external and internal partners to ideate strategically and execute quickly, effectively, and consistently in a fast-paced business environment.
- Must have a strong work ethic, and a reputation for the highest degree of integrity and mature business judgment
- Comfortable in presenting recommendations to senior management and the board of directors in line with corporate strategic objectives
- A very confident professional who constantly raises the bar and presses the organization toward a higher level of achievement
- Ability to present complex technical analyses in easy to understand form
- Ability to collaborate remotely across geographies and platforms
- Superior communication (oral and written, including editing) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage change and shift gears comfortably.
- Strategic and creative thinker.