BlackRock is seeking a VP / Director, Corporate Sustainability – Focused on Corporate ESG Data, Ratings and Disclosure.
About this role
BlackRock’s Corporate Sustainability Team is responsible for producing the firm’s corporate sustainability disclosure, policies and strategy.
The VP / Director, Corporate Sustainability will focus on initiatives related to Corporate ESG Data, Ratings and Disclosure for BlackRock, Inc. and report to BlackRock’s Chief Corporate Sustainability Officer, who in turn reports to BlackRock’s Global Head of Investor Relations and Corporate Sustainability.
Internal and External Corporate Sustainability Reporting
- Coordinate content for BlackRock’s Corporate Sustainability Disclosure Framework including but not limited to BlackRock’s corporate reporting in accordance with sustainability frameworks such as: Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), UN Principles for Responsible Investing (PRI), and CDP.
- Manage data governance and review process to ensure accuracy and timely collection of BlackRock’s corporate sustainability data and disclosures. Identify and implement opportunities to develop technology solutions to systematize data collection processes.
- Manage the associated assurance processes related to corporate sustainability reporting, where applicable.
- Track the evolution of sustainability reporting frameworks and help develop recommendations on BlackRock’s reporting strategy, including identifying new areas of disclosure and developing the rationale and business processes for tracking and disclosing key corporate sustainability performance metrics.
- Develop and maintain content for BlackRock’s corporate sustainability website, including acting as a key contributor to the expansion and redesign of BlackRock’s corporate sustainability website.
- Collect and maintain repository of key qualitative and quantitative corporate sustainability metrics, talking points, RFP language, and presentations for use in internal and external communication.
- Respond to requests for ESG data from internal stakeholders and clients, including responding to corporate sustainability questions in RFPs.
- Manage peer analysis on corporate reporting frameworks and ESG ratings.
- Responsible for prioritizing responses to ESG surveys, ranking, and ratings requests.
- Lead and coordinate BlackRock’s responses to key ESG surveys, ranking and ratings agencies’ information requests, including Sustainalytics, MSCI, DJSI / RobecoSam, ISS Oekom, Bloomberg and CDP, among others.
- Develop dashboard of BlackRock’s ESG ratings / rankings, an understanding of drivers of BlackRock’s ratings on key ESG surveys and how these ratings and rankings are used by various stakeholders.
- Engage with ESG raters to understand methodologies, provide information related to BlackRock’s performance and ratings, and stay current on emerging trends as well as expectations for transparency and reporting.
- Synthesize ESG survey results and content for internal review as needed
- As a key member of BlackRock’s Corporate Sustainability team, contribute to other team priorities related to BlackRock’s Corporate Sustainability strategy and stakeholder engagement.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience preferably in asset management, corporate reporting, corporate sustainability / ESG reporting, sustainable investing, and/or investment stewardship
- Ideally, candidate has experience with corporate sustainability reporting frameworks including SASB, TCFD, CDP, and PRI – active engagement or relationships with standard-setting organizations a plus
- Understanding of major ESG rating organizations and methodologies
- Experience identifying and/or developing technology solutions to solve problems and increase efficiency, particularly as it relates to sustainability data
- Demonstrated knowledge of sustainability issues, disclosure practices, and industry-wide trends as well as the relevance of sustainability issues to the financial services industry
- High level of independence, ability to innovate, work under pressure and comfortable taking ownership and primary responsibility for deliverables
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly detail oriented
- Passion for sustainability and sustainable investing